Dugald A. Watson
WATSON, Dugald A., a well-known and substantial farmer of Macomb Township, McDonough County, Ill., was born in this county, March 4, 1853. His parents, Alexander and Isabel (Galbraith) Watson, were natives of Argyleshire, Scotland. The grandfathers, Hugh Watson and Daniel Galbraith, were also of Scotch origin. Alexander Watson and his wife came from Scotland to the United States and, in 1851, located in McDonough County, where the father purchased a farm in Section 12, in Scotland Township. Both are now living retired in Macomb. Dugald A. Watson, who is the second of the seven children born to his parents, pursued his boyhood studies in the public school, after which he attended the Macomb Branch Normal School, remaining at home until he was twenty-seven years old. At that period he bought a farm of 160 acres in Sections 35 and 36. Macomb Township, which he has since successfully operated.
On February 19, 1880, Mr. Watson was united in marriage with Catherine McMillen, who was born in Scotland Township, where, in girlhood, she attended the public schools. The offspring of this union are: Alice C., Edgar and Clarence. As to religion, the subject of this sketch accepts the doctrine of the Presbyterian Church, and gives his political support to the Republican party. In 1895 and 1896 he held the office of Supervisor, and has served as School Director since 1893. Fraternally, Mr. Watson is identified with the M. W. A.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, page 1037, extracted 26 Oct 2020 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright