John H. Taylor
TAYLOR, John H., who is well known in Macomb, Ill., as one of the proprietors of a coal and feed store, was born on his father's farm in McDonough County, in March, 1860, and received his early training in the common schools. His father and mother, William and Mary (Goodwin) Taylor, were natives of England. Mr. Taylor is the youngest of three children born to his parents. When he was four years of age his father died and, at the age of seventeen years, he went to England with his mother and sister. There he worked as a coal miner between eight and nine years, and then returned to the home farm, which has thirty acres occupied in the cultivation of fruit, and on which he makes his home. His mother died in 1898. He and his brother William have been, dealing in hay, straw, coal and feed in Macomb since 1897.
Mr. Taylor was married, in 1889, to Margaret Spoomore, who was born in McDonough County, where she pursued her studies in the common schools. They have two adopted children: Richard and Lula. Politically, Mr. Taylor supports the principles of the Republican party. He has held the offices of Road Master, Commissioner, Pathmaster and Constable in Chalmers Township.
In business affairs Mr. Taylor is careful, energetic and reliable, and is well regarded in the community.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, page 1016, extracted 07 Aug 2020 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright