James William Stuart
STUART, James William, who is successfully operating a machine and wagon shop in Macomb, McDonough County, Ill., was born in Schuyler County, Ill., November 2, 1867, and there attended public school. He is a son of James and Margaret (Parks) Stuart, natives, respectively, of Scotland and Ireland. The father, James Stuart, came from Scotland to the United States and located in Pike County, Ill., in 1825. In 1832 he moved to Schuyler County, Ill., and entered government land, finally owning 320 acres. He and his wife were the parents of eleven children, of whom the subject of this sketch was one of three boys.
At the age of twenty-one years James W. Stuart came to Macomb, and worked at the carpenter's trade one year. He was then employed for five years in R. H. Massey's blacksmith and machine shop. This property he purchased of Mr. Massey, and has since conducted the business. His brother, Charles H., was in partnership with him for six years, when Mr. Stuart bought him out. He is engaged in general repair work on farming implements and all kinds of machines, and in the manufacture of wagons. In this line his experience and skill have secured for him a good patronage, upon which he bestows faithful attention. He is considered absolutely reliable in his dealings, and enjoys the implicit confidence of all who know him.
Mr. Stuart was married September 9, 1891, to Olive M. Thompson, who was born and schooled in McDonough County. Two children, Ethel L. and Howard T., are the issue of this union. In politics, Mr. Stuart supports the Republican party. His religious connection is with the Baptist Church of Macomb, in which he is a prominent and very useful member. He has been Chairman of its Village Board of Trustees four years, and was for eighteen months Superintendent of its Sunday School. During the erection of the new Baptist Church edifice he served as Chairman of the Building Committee. Fraternally, the subject of this sketch is affiliated with the K. of P., I. O. O. F., M. W. A., R. A. M. and M. W.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 1013-1014, extracted 30 Jul 2020 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright