Ulysses G. Smith
SMITH, Ulysses G., banker, Bardolph, McDonough County, Ill., was born in that place, July 27, 1863, the son of Reuben A. and Mary H. (Tinsley) Smith, natives of Kentucky, who came to McDonough County in 1847 and settled on a farm in Macomb Township. As he was one of eleven children Ulysses began helping about the home farm at a very early age. He received a public school education and then began a man's work in earnest. The father died in 1875, and after 1883, Ulysses conducted farming on the homestead until 1902, when he removed to Bardolph. and, with C. V. Chandler, opened the new Bank of Bardolph, the only institution of the kind in town. At the present time Mr. Smith conducts the business alone. On February 28, 1902, he was married to Nellie Kelso, of Macomb Township. One child has been born to them, Harold T., whose anniversary occurs on January 2. In his political affiliations. Mr. Smith is a Democrat, and fraternally, belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America. He is likewise a member of the Methodist Church. He has served as Township Collector one term, and as Supervisor for three terms, or six years. Active and energetic, interested in all pertaining to the welfare of the town wherein he resides, few persons would be missed more than Ulysses G. Smith.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 1004-1005, extracted 30 Jul 2020 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright