SIMPSON, James, a retired farmer of excellent repute and substantial means, residing in Macomb, McDonough County, Ill., was born in McDonough County, March 3, 1853, a son of Josiah E. and Eliza (Trotter) Simpson, natives of Kentucky. Josiah Simpson and his wife had five sons and one daughter, and James was the youngest of their children. He enjoyed the advantages of the district school and remained on the home farm until the death of his father, the mother having passed away when he was nine years old. The father, who was one of the old settlers in McDonough County and was well known by all the pioneers, raised the first high-grade cattle bred in this county. For those days he was an extensive and successful stock-raiser. He died in March, 1887.
James Simpson inherited 100 acres of the homestead farm, and continued to live there from the time of his marriage in 1888. In 1896 he built a comfortable residence in Macomb, which he has since occupied, free from the cares of active life, and in the enjoyment of well earned repose. He is a man of much intelligence, well informed in regard to current topics, and is regarded by all as an upright and useful member of the community. He is the owner of three eighty-acre tracts of farming land in Industry Township, and one in Hire Township — in all making 320 acres.
Mr. Simpson was married October 4, 1888, to Jane E. Watson, who was born and schooled in Scotland Township, and is a daughter of William Watson, who resides in Macomb. Mr. Simpson and wife have one child, Nellie Lucille, born June 23, 1894. In political affairs, the subject of this sketch supports the Republican party, and in religious faith, is an adherent of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, page 1002, extracted 30 Jul 2020 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright