Josiah Knous Seem
SEEM, Josiah Knous (deceased), for many years a well-known jeweler in Macomb, McDonough County, Ill., was born in Kreidersville, Northampton County, Pa., August 19, 1828, and died in Macomb, February 11, 1903. In boyhood lie attended the district schools of his native place, and subsequently pursued a collegiate course in Jefferson College, at Easton, Pa., with a view of preparing for the ministry, but abandoned this purpose on account of a want of self-confidence. After leaving college he taught school five or six years in Pennsylvania, after which he engaged in the jewelry business. In 1871 Mr. Seem came to Illinois with his family and settled in Macomb, where he opened a jewelry store. At the time of his death he had followed this occupation forty years. Nine years before he died he sold an interest in his business to A. E. Rush, and the concern was conducted under the firm name of Seem & Rush.
The subject of this sketch was a man of high intelligence and wide information. He possessed a refined nature, carefully avoided giving offense, and was especially observant of the rights of others. In his domestic relations he was notably affectionate and indulgent. In business transactions he was the soul of honor, and as a citizen was true to the best interests of the community. On February 24, 1851, Mr. Seem was united in marriage to Elizabeth Ehret, who was born and schooled in Petersville, Pa. Mrs. Seem was of French descent, and was reared in the faith of the German Reformed Church. Her great-grandfather, Jacob Beck (possibly a native of England) fought in the Revolutionary War. To Mr. and Mrs. Seem were born two children, namely: Ella (Mrs. C. H. Waddell), of Seattle, Wash., and Ida (Mrs. S. P. Dewey), of Chicago. The grandfather of the latter's husband was a near relative of Admiral Dewey. In politics, Mr. Seem gave his support to the Republican party. Religiously, he was reared to the tenets of the German Reformed Church, but on making his home in Macomb he united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he was a consistent and useful member to the end.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, page 999, extracted 30 Jul 2020 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright