SCOTT, David (deceased), at one time one of the most enterprising and prosperous citizens of Macomb, McDonough County, Ill., was born in the vicinity of Gettysburg, Pa., in 1823, and died in Macomb in 1886. He was a son of John Scott and wife, who were natives of Pennsylvania. Mr. Scott was a farmer by occupation. In 1839 he came with his family from Adams County, Pa., seven miles from Gettysburg, to Illinois. He started from Pittsburg on a boat called the "William Glasgow," which was destroyed by fire on the Mississippi River twelve miles from the mouth of the Ohio. All his effects were lost, including two teams. Taking the "North Star" boat, he came to St. Louis, and then to Frederick on the "Home."
In his youth David Scott assisted his father in farm work, attending the country school in the neighborhood during the winter. By dint of close application to his studies and reading during his leisure hours, he acquired a good mental training, and ultimately became a well informed man. At the age of eighteen years he started out to work with a threshing machine, having secured a loan of $2 with which to buy oil. Subsequently he lived on several different farms, and finally came to Macomb, where he was engaged in milling and stock buying until the time of his death. In this occupation he amassed considerable wealth. He built many residences and business blocks in Macomb, one of which was blown down by a cyclone during the period of construction, when just ready for the tinners. During the Mormon war Mr. Scott became involved in danger and was compelled to flee from Nauvoo, making his escape the day before the Smiths were killed. Subsequently he traveled throughout the West on account of the impairment of his health.
On January 1, 1853, Mr. Scott was united in marriage with Margaret Allison, who died in 1863. Four children were the issue of this union, namely: John W., of Lawrence, Kans.; Robert, who died in infancy, and Charles Monroe and Frank, of Macomb. Mr. Scott was later married to Mary Rea, in Bedford. Pa., and they became the parents of four children, as follows: Anna, Mrs. Vose, of Macomb; Carrie deceased; George H., Cashier in C. V. Chandler's bank, and James Lewis, Secretary of the Macomb Sewer Pipe Company.
Politically, the subject of this sketch was in accord with the Republican party. Religiously, he was a Presbyterian, although he gave liberally to all denominations. His characteristic benevolences included all worthy charities. He was a man of great energy and indomitable spirit, whose resolute will no reverses could overcome.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 997-998, extracted 30 Jul 2020 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright