S. R. Sapp
SAPP, S. R., who is now living in comfortable retirement in the town of Good Hope, McDonough County, Ill., after a period of seventy-four years' residence in the State of Illinois, was born in North Carolina, on January 26, 1830, a son of Brummell and Elizabeth (Wier) Sapp, whose birthplace was also in that State. The occupation of Brummell Sapp was that of a farmer. In 1831 he moved from his native State to the then unsettled region of northwestern Illinois. The difficult and tedious journey consumed six weeks, being made in a wagon drawn by a blind horse. Into this vehicle the father packed his family, consisting of eight children, and the load slowly proceeded northward and westward, across the long stretch of country, until it reached its destination. This was Schuyler County, Ill., where, after numerous obstacles had been overcome, the party safely arrived. Brummell Sapp located at Rushville, in that county, remaining there six months. He then bought a tract of farming land in the same county, four miles east of Plymouth, on which he built a log cabin that constituted the family home. He cleared and broke up the land consisting of eighty acres, and made the necessary improvements. For a long time, the nearest neighbor was five miles distant from his place, and he was compelled to haul his crops to Quincy, Ill., to find a market. At an early day Brummell Sapp went to Georgia, under an engagement as overseer of 200 slaves, but declined to remain there long, for the reason that their owner furnished them insufficient food. The subject of this sketch received what little education could be obtained under his circumstances in the subscription schools of that period, and made himself useful on his father's farm. In course of time he took charge of it himself, finally becoming the owner of 228 acres of land. He lived there until the death of his father, and after that event moved to Good Hope, McDonough County, where he made his home in 1881. There he opened a grocery store, which he conducted for one year, and subsequently devoted his attention to the breeding of Norman and Clyde horses, until his withdrawal from active pursuits. He owned the farm of seventy acres just east of Good Hope and in recent years, purchased a home in town. In 1858 Mr. Sapp was united in marriage, in Schuyler County, Ill., with Margaret Miller, who was born in Adams County, Ill., and there in girlhood improved the opportunities afforded by the public schools. Three children have resulted from this union, namely: Eugene E., a resident of Sciota, McDonough County, and Elmer L. and Minnie (Mrs. James), who are residents of Good Hope. Elmer L. Sapp is officiating as Postmaster of that town. The subject of this sketch has served with marked credit as a member of the Town Board for twelve years. In religion, Mr. Sapp adheres to the faith of the Presbyterian Church, while his worthy and estimable wife is identified with the Methodist denomination. Both are held in high esteem throughout the community.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, page 996, extracted 30 Jul 2020 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright