ROBINSON, Dr. Gain (deceased).— Of the retired citizens of Macomb none were more highly honored that Dr. Gain Robinson, who, at the threshold of his eighty-seventh year, found himself the center of an interesting circle of friends, all of whom admired him for what he had accomplished for mankind, and still relied upon the soundness of his counsel and the sterling qualities of his mind and heart. Dr. Robinson was a native of Trumbull County, Ohio, and was born September 19, 1819, a son of Gain and Sarah (Winans) Robinson, natives of Maine and Ohio, respectively, and died March 31, 1906. Gain Robinson, Sr., was a physician and surgeon who died when his son was two years old, the same year witnessing the death of his wife and daughter. The lad was educated in the public schools of Circleville, Ohio, and at a private school, in 1846 graduating from the medical department of the Western Reserve School at Cleveland, Ohio.
On May 18, 1847, Dr. Robinson was united in marriage to Mary L. Taylor, who was born near Milton, Ohio. October 12, 1829, a daughter of Alexander and Betsie (Scott) Robinson. For two years after his marriage Dr. Robinson practiced medicine in Baton Rouge, La. As there were then no public schools in the village, he was asked to prepare several of the youth of the place for college. This occupation he followed four years, then came to Rushville, Ill., where he engaged in the drug business until 1861, during the summer of that year purchasing a large farm in Huntsville Township, Schuyler County, upon which he lived until 1891. Afterward he lived retired in Macomb, where he owned a beautiful home at No. 440 N. Campbell Street. February 10, 1905, a great grief fell across his life in the death of his beloved wife, who, at all times and under all conditions, was an ideal helpmate and mother. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson had eight children, five of whom are living: Cyrus G. and Harvey T., of South Dakota; Henry S., of Chicago, Ill.; Helen R., widow of Frank Baker; and A. May, who, with her sister, Mrs. Baker, lived with her father. Frank Baker, son-in-law of Dr. Robinson, was born in Ohio, October 8, 1833, and married Helen R. Baker at Mount Sterling, Ill. The couple lived for five years in Pierre, S. Dak., where Mr. Baker operated the "Park Hotel," and it was while on a trip to Brookfield, Mo., that he sickened and died, February 6, 1895. Mr. Baker was possessed of shrewd business ability, and was especially popular in Masonic circles, having taken the highest degree in that order. Mrs. Baker was educated in the public schools of Rushville and at Knox College, Galesburg.
Dr. Robinson was a Republican In politics, and fraternally, was a Mason. Although a constant sufferer from ill health, the deceased retained his old-time interest in the things around him to the last, and because of his optimism and patience was a source of inspiration and help to all who came in contact with him. Altogether his life was an upright and worthy one, nobly dignified by his cheerful temper, thoroughness of purpose, sincerity of character.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 993-994, extracted 29 May 2020 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright