Benjamin Franklin Randolph
RANDOLPH, Benjamin Franklin (deceased), formerly the well-known proprietor of a boot and shoe store in Macomb, McDonough County, Ill., was born on a farm near Delphi, Ind., March 10, 1843. He was a son of Reuben and Elizabeth Randolph, natives of Virginia, and was among the older children of a family of eight born to his parents. Mr. Randolph attended the public schools in his neighborhood and pursued a subsequent course of study in Delphi College. At the breaking out of the Civil War in 1861, he left college to enlist in the Forty-sixth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, in which he served four years as a fifer, being engaged in all the battles participated in by his regiment. He then came to Macomb, Ill., where he was employed for a short time as clerk in a dry-goods store with his brother, J. H. Randolph, who is now in business in Fort Scott, Kans., and later being engaged in the shoe business. In 1867 he bought the shoe business of his father-in-law, Charles M. Ray, and conducted it until the time of his death, which occurred July 26, 1902. The store is still operated by his widow, in conjunction with her son James, and her brother, Dwight E. Ray.
The subject of this sketch was united in marriage August 10, 1868, with Fannie Ray, who was born in Rushville, Schuyler County, Ill., and received her education in a private school in Macomb. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Randolph were: Ray, who died at the age of twenty-four; James H., of Macomb, who married Louise Aldridge; Maude and Louisa D. Mrs. Randolph's parents, Charles and Mary (Dean) Ray, were natives of Utica, N. Y. Her maternal grandparents, John and Lucinda M. (Dean) Dean, were born in the same State, as were also Phineas and Amelia Ray, the paternal grandparents. Politically, Mr. Randolph was a Republican and served as Alderman of the Second Ward of Macomb. In religious belief he was a Universalist, and fraternally, was connected with the G. A. R. and K. of P. In all the relations of life Mr. Randolph was a most exemplary man, and he was highly esteemed throughout the community.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 985-986, extracted 29 May 2020 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright