Carl A. Plassmann
PLASSMANN, Carl A., formerly a successful farmer in Chalmers Township, McDonough County, Ill., and now living in retirement in the city of Macomb, was born in Prussian Germany, May 20, 1837, a son of Carl H. Plassmann, who was a native of Prussia. In his boyhood the subject of this sketch attended the public schools of his neighborhood in the fatherland, and at the age of eighteen years came to the United States, landing at New Orleans. After working in a soap factory there for four months he went to St. Louis, where he was employed ten months. Thence he went to Quincy, Ill., and worked two years on a farm. After his marriage he moved to Scotland Township, McDonough County, where he was engaged eighteen months on a farm, moving thence to Chalmers Township, in the same county. There he purchased 160 acres of timber land, which he cleared from the brush which covered it, and cultivated the ground until 1896. In that year he retired from active pursuits, buying a house and double lot on South McArthur Street, in Macomb, where he is spending his days in leisure. Mr. Plassmann was married October 28, 1857, to Charlotte Redhorst, a daughter of Eben Redhorst, and a native of Prussia, Germany. Nine children were born of their union, as follows: Annie, Emma, Fred, Marguerite, Louis, Lillian, William and two children who died in infancy. In religious belief Mr. Plassmann adheres to the Lutheran Church, and in political opinion is in harmony with the principles of the Democratic party. He has served twice as Road Commissioner and as School Director for three terms. The subject of this sketch has always lived a straightforward, upright life, and can look back on the past with the consciousness of having done what he thought to be right.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 979-980, extracted 17 Mar 2020 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright