John D. Munger
MUNGER, John D., formerly a successful farmer of Ashtabula County, Ohio, and in Scotland Township, McDonough County, Ill., and now living in retirement in Macomb, Ill., was born in Saratoga Springs, N. Y., April 25, 1824, and received his early education in the common school of Geneva, Ohio. He is a son of Gideon and Judy M. (Dewey) Munger. His father was born in Saratoga Springs, N. Y., and his mother was a native of Vermont. Four children were born to his parents, of whom John D. was the third in succession of birth. At the age of fifteen years he started to learn the blacksmith's trade in Geneva, Ohio, where he worked a number of years. In 1849 he went from Ohio to California, where he remained two years and got some gold. He returned to Geneva, whence, in 1853, he went again to California and spent one year there. He took passage on the ship "Golden Gate," and on the return voyage he took passage on the "Winfleld Scott," which was wrecked off Santa Barbara, Cal., so that he was compelled to stay on shore for six days. Returning to Ohio, he bought a farm in Ashtabula County, which he cultivated until 1876, when he came to McDonough County, Ill. Purchasing a farm in Scotland Township, he lived on it two years, and, in the spring of 1878, moved to Macomb. There he bought a fine residence on South White Street, where he has passed his days in retirement.
On January 7, 1854, Mr. Munger was married to Juliette Jennings, who was born in Madison, Lake County, Ohio, and schooled at Quincy, Ill. This union resulted in three children, viz.: Yreka and Ureka, deceased, and Verona R., who married Manda Radikin and lives in Macomb. Mrs. Munger died August 23, 1893. In politics, Mr. Munger supports the Republican party. He is passing his declining years surrounded by every comfort and in the enjoyment of that quiet repose to which his former labors have entitled him.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, page 962, extracted 12 Sep 2019 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright