McCLURE, Lee, a well-known brick manufacturer of Tennessee Township, McDonou.gh County, Ill., who is also engaged in farming, was born in the township named on January 4, 1866. He is a son of Rutherford and Sarah (White) McClure, natives of Ohio. Rutherford McClure came to McDonough County in 1833. He was a farmer by occupation, and had acquired considerable land at the time of his death, owning 1,200 acres. Lee McClure is one of a family of ten children born to his parents, seven of whom are still living. In youth he received his education in the public schools of his neighborhood, while assisting his father on the farm, and after he reached years of maturity devoted his attention to farming and stock-raising, which was his main occupation until 1900. He then constructed a plant for the manufacture of brick and started in the business. He makes all kinds of building and paving brick and all sizes of tile, and employs five men.
On November 18, 1897, Mr. McClure was united in marriage with Tillie Gordon, a native of McDonough County. To this union have been born three children: Florence, Lela and John. The subject of this sketch is a very energetic man, and applies himself diligently to his work, both in the brick yard and on the farm, and his success is largely due to this feature of his character.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, page 949, extracted 12 Sep 2019 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright