Isaac M. Martin, M. D.
MARTIN, Isaac M., M. D. — A score of years devoted to the practice of medicine and surgery in La Harpe, Ill., has established Dr. Isaac M. Martin a reputation among the foremost and most reliable members of his profession In this part of Illinois. A graduate of Hahnneman Medical College, Chicago, of the class of 1881, and previous to coming to this town a practitioner for six years in Macomb, Dr. Martin in 1891 pursued a post-graduate course in his alma mater, and furthermore has unceasingly employed the aids of science and research in extending his ability and opportunities for the amelioration of the physical woes of mankind. Dr. Martin is a native of Macomb, born September 9, 1853. He comes of a family of practical and useful tendencies, and one intimately connected with affairs in McDonough County since 1842. During that year his father, Joseph M. Martin, came from Miami County, Ohio, and located in Macomb, where he followed his trade as builder and contractor until shortly before his death in 1893. He is survived by his wife, Henrietta G. (Westfall) Martin, also born in Miami County, Ohio, and now the only living charter member of the Macomb Universalist Church. The elder Martin was a master carpenter and shrewd business man, and during an unusually active business career, probably constructed more buildings in McDonough County than any one other man.
In addition to a large and varied practice, Dr. Martin has borne many exacting political and social responsibilities, which he has discharged with keen regard for the best welfare of the community. As a Republican he has been a member of the County Central Committee several years and a delegate to two State Conventions, was also City Clerk of Macomb from 1882 until 1887, a member of the School Board for ten years, member of the Library Board five years, City Attorney of La Harpe one term, and Alderman of that city two years. He is a member of the American Medical Society and the Illinois State Homoeopathic Society, and fraternally, is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Modern Woodmen of America. In religion he is a Universalist. Dr. Martin is the owner of the "La Harpe Times," of which his son, Morris Carl Martin, is editor, and another son, Edgar S., is foreman. These young men were born to the first wife of Dr. Martin, whom he married September &, 1883, and who formerly was Elsie Taylor, a native of Colchester, Ill. Mrs. Martin died July 30, 1838, and December 5, 1889, Dr. Martin was united in marriage to Clara A. Locke, of La Harpe, and daughter of George and Mary E. (Webster) Locke, natives of Michigan and Fulton County, Ill., respectively. Dr. Martin and his present wife are the parents of two daughters: Mary Etta and Esther Pearl.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 945-946, extracted 12 Sep 2019 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright