George W. Kruse
KRUSE, George W., a retired farmer living in Macomb, McDonough County, Ill., and one of its most substantial citizens, was born in Hanover, Germany, June 12, 1832, a son of S. M. D. and Rosa (Leerhoff) Kruse, also natives of the German city named. After finishing his schooling in Germany, Mr. Kruse learned the baker's trade, at which he worked in his native country until he was twenty-five years old. On November 3, 1857, he landed at New Orleans, and thence came direct to Macomb, where, in the fall of 1858, he started a bakery on West Jackson Street. This he conducted until 1867, when he sold out and purchased a farm of 160 acres in Chalmers Township. On this farm, he lived until 1890, adding to it from time to time until its extent was increased to 620 acres. In 1889 he bought a block on West Piper Street, and moved into a house there, which he remodeled and in which he has since resided. The first 160 acres of land which he purchased was covered with brush, but Mr. Kruse cleared it and made it one of the best improved farms in the county.
Mr. Kruse was first married to Renne M. Gronewold, who was born in Hanover, Germany, In August, 1831, and died November 20, 1867. They became the parents of four children, Frank H., Emma E., Elizabeth R. and H. G. In January, 1869, Mr. Kruse married Agnes McCann, who was born December 24, 1844, in County Down, Ireland, where in girlhood she attended school. Five children resulted from this union, namely: William, Anna, George H., Peter and Clara (Mrs. Joseph Burke). Mrs. Agnes Kruse died August 27, 1905. Politically, Mr. Kruse is a Democrat. He has served two terms as Supervisor and has held the office of Highway Commissioner in Chalmers Township for two terms.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 929-930, extracted 11 May 2019 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright