William L. Kenner
KENNER, William L., a respected and retired merchant, residing in Macomb, Ill., was born in Fleming County, Ky., July 24, 1838. His father, Leroy W. Kenner, was born in Virginia, and his mother, whose maiden name was Mary H. Bell, in Fleming County, Ky. Rodeham and Sarah (Foxworthy) Kenner, the paternal grandparents, were natives of Virginia. The maternal grandparents, Benjamin and Mary (O'Bannon) Bell, were natives of Kentucky, the latter having been born in Garrard County, that State. The great-grandfather, William Kenner, was a Virginian. William L. Kenner is the eldest of nine children, the others being as follows: Mary C., deceased wife of Rev. Mr. Walker; Charles, of Cincinnati, Ohio; Lula (Mrs. C. W. Dudley), of Flemingsburg, Ky.; Maria (Mrs. P. T. Throop), of Nashville, Tenn.; Phoebe (Mrs. E. S. Fogg), of Covington, Ky.; Minnie, who died in infancy; Edwin H., of Flemingsburg, Ky.; and Carrie, of Chicago.
The subject of this sketch lived with his parents until February, 1863, attending the common schools and County Seminary in his boyhood, and afterwards pursuing a commercial college course, in Cincinnati, and assisting his father in the general mercantile business at Mt. Carmel, Ky. In 1863 he went to Rush County, Ind., and opened a general store, and bought a farm which he conducted until October, 1865. He then sold out, came to Scotland Township, McDonough County, and there bought a farm. This he rented for one year and came to Macomb, Ill., where, in 1866, he conducted the Randolph House for Mrs. Randolph. Moving back to the farm, he remained there until 1874, when he rented the place and returned to Macomb. Here he dealt in live stock until 1877, after which he was engaged in the clothing and gents' furnishing line until 1892. At that period he sold the concern to Mausser & McClellen, and bought a general store, at Table Grove, Ill., in August of that year. This he conducted over three years, when in March, 1895, he sold out and retired from business. Since then he has been at leisure in the fine residence owned by him at No. 307 East Carroll Street, Macomb. Mr. Kenner has had a very busy life, through all of which have been manifested those qualities of industry, energy, diligence and integrity, which insure success.
On February 11, 1862, Mr. Kenner was first married to Emma T. Meyers, who was born in Lincoln County, Ky., and pursued her studies at the Daughters' College, at Harrodsburg, in that State. The offspring of this union were: Joseph B., Mary C., Mattie R., William and Oliver (twins), of whom the former is deceased; and John and James (twins), the latter deceased. The mother of this family died September 3, 1882. On February 25, 1883, Mr. Kenner was married to his second wife, Anna B. (Seward) Garrison, widow of Walter I. Garrison. Two children were the issue of this marriage, viz.: Leroy H., deceased, and Arie Opal. The subject of this sketch is a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church, and politically, upholds the principles of the Republican party.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, page 924, extracted 11 May 2019 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright