JONES, Darius, who, after many years of successful farming just east of Bushnell, McDonough County, Ill., retired from active pursuits in 1903, was born in Ross County, Ohio, on August 17, 1828, a son of John and Rebecca (Moss) Jones, the former, a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Virginia. Mr. Jones came to McDonough County in 1850 and located near Scottsburg, where he engaged in general farming. In 1859 he bought his present farm of eighty acres near Bushnell, to which he has added until there are over 200 acres in that tract. For the past two years this farm has been operated by his son, John L. Jones. Mr. Jones owns another farm of 245 acres two and a half miles east of this, another of 170 acres two miles northeast, and still another of 120 acres in extent north of Bushnell, besides having 320 acres of land in Kansas. He owns 1,000 acres altogether, which he has leased to his children until his death, when the property will belong to them.
On February 23, 1853, Mr. Jones was married to Elizabeth Snapp, a native of East Tennessee. Their union resulted in nine children, six of whom are living, namely: Mary (Mrs. W. E. Hoffman); Caroline (Mrs. David Mowry); John L., who married Minnie Harris; Laura; William G., who married Emma Wallick; and Frank, who married Thera Guernsey. On February 23, 1903, this good couple celebrated their golden wedding. The subject of this sketch is a member of the Methodist Church. Politically, he belongs to the Republican party, and has served the township as Road Commissioner, School Trustee, School Director, etc. For more than forty years, he was one of the most prominent and successful farmers of McDonough County.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 922-923, extracted 11 May 2019 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright