John M. Huston
HUSTON, John M., a prominent and substantial farmer, who, for more than forty years, has been pursuing his vocation in Blandinsville Township, McDonough County, was born in Henderson County, Ill., in the year 1838, a son of George and Catherine (Rowan) Huston, the former, a native of Virginia, and the latter, of Ohio. George Huston, a farmer by occupation, settled in Henderson County at a very early period, and followed farming during the remainder of his life. The subject of this sketch is one of a family of four children born to his parents, two of whom are still living. In his boyhood he utilized the opportunities afforded by the country schools of his neighborhood, and, on reaching years of maturity, applied himself to farming on his own account. He moved to his present place in Section 1, Blandinsville Township, in 1864. At that time he purchased 185 acres of land from Israel Camp. He is also the owner of a considerable amount of land in Henderson County, where he has always been engaged in general farming and stock-raising. In 1857, Mr. Huston was united in marriage with Lydia Duncan, who was born in McDonough County, where she recelved her early education in the district schools in the vicinity of her home. Five children resulted from this union, namely: Luther, Robert L., Mary (Mrs. Oakman), Burris and Thalus. Mr. Huston has served as School Director for a number of years. Religiously, he participates in the services of the Christian Church. Mr. Huston is a man of high standing in the community, and is regarded as one of its leading farmers and citizens.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 916-917, extracted 09 Mar 2019 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright