William W. Houston, M. D.
HOUSTON, William W., M. D., who is successfully engaged in the practice of medicine in Good Hope, McDonough County, Ill., was born on February 24, 1877, near Fountain Green, Ill., the son of Thomas and Mary (Campbell) Houston. His mother was a native of Fannettsburg, Franklin County, Pa. Thomas Houston, the father, also born in Pennsylvania, at the age of six months was brougnt to Hancock County, Ill., by his parents, and after reaching maturity, there followed agricultural pursuits until 1891, when he moved to Carthage, Ill., and retired from business. The mother died in 1895.
William W. Houston attended public school in his boyhood, meanwhile helping his father on the farm. In early manhood he pursued a course of study in Carthage College, and subsequently entered the Keokuk (Iowa) Medical College, from which he was graduated with the class of 1901. After taking a post-graduate course in the Chicago Policlinic, he located in Good Hope in July, 1901, and opened an office and commenced practicing medicine. He is regarded as well grounded in the theory as well as the practice of his profession. The proof is in his patronage, which has already grown to such proportions that he is hardly able to attend to it, working night and day and driving two teams alternately.
On June 25, 1897, Dr. Houston was married to Ethel Newland, a daughter of Andrew and Elizabeth (Kennedy) Newland, natives of Ohio, who reside near Carthage, Ill. Mrs. Houston was born and schooled in Hancock County, Ill. Three children — William C., Sarah Elizabeth and Nellie Carroll — are the issue of this union. In political contests, the Doctor supports the Republican party. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the Masonic Order, being a member of Good Hope Lodge No. 617, A. F. & A. M.; Good Hope Chapter Royal Arch Masons, and Mystic Workers. The Doctor's office is without question the best fitted for the practice of his profession in the county, being equipped with an X-ray static machine, operating tables and surgical instruments, as well as quite an extensive library. He holds memberships in the Illinois State Medical Society and the McDonough County Medical Society.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, page 912, extracted 09 Mar 2019 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright