William W. Henderson
HENDERSON, William W., one of the most intelligent and substantial farmers in Scotland Township, McDonough County, Ill., was born in Harrison County, Ohio, December 19, 1832. His father and mother, William and Nancy (Russell) Henderson, were natives of Westmoreland County, Pa. Grandfather Charles Henderson and Grandfather James Russell were of Irish and Scotch origin, respectively. The subject of this sketch is the fifth of nine children born to his parents. His birth occurred on a farm, where he grew up to the age of fourteen years and attended the common schools of the neighborhood. At that period he drove the team by which his parents and their children journeyed from Ohio to the vicinity of Vermont, Fulton County, Ill., where he grubbed 160 acres of land covered with heavy oak timber. Mr. Henderson remained there until he was twenty-six years old, and then moved to McDonough County and rented 160 acres of land for eight years. At the end of that period he bought eighty acres in Eldorado Township, on which he lived thirteen years. This he sold, and purchased 160 acres of land in Section 21, Scotland Township, and 160 acres in Section 16. In 1882 he moved to the farm in Section 21, where he now lives. He has added to this until he is now the owner of about 500 acres.
On December 19, 1860, Mr. Henderson was married to Sarah A. Marshall, who was born in Fulton County, Ill., and there attended public school. Six children resulted from this union, namely: Mary, Charlie, Carl, Rhoda, Ray and Marvel E. Charles married Agnes McMillen, sister of Dr. McMillen, a dentist, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume, and their children are Clare, Ross, Forrest, Lena and Harry. They reside on a fine homestead of 320 acres, just north of the parental farm. Carl married Anna E. Kelly, a daughter of John Kelly, whose biography also appears in another part of this work. They are the parents of two children, Kelly D. and George W., and the family lives on a farm in Scotland Township. Politically, Mr. Henderson supports the policies of the Democratic party, and has served as School Director for twelve years. He was the first among the farmers of his township to install a telephone on his premises.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 904-905, extracted 09 Mar 2019 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright