HAVENS, Henry, who has been engaged in farming in Mound Township, McDonough County, Ill., nearly forty years, was born in Warren County, N. J., January 3, 1828, a son of William and Sarah (Nulton) Havens, of whom the former was a native of New Jersey and the latter of Pennsylvania. Henry Havens enjoyed somewhat the advantages of the public schools in the State of his birth, and there grew up to mature years. On February 4, 1854, he came to McDonough County, and after remaining there one year purchased a tract of land a mile east of Bushnell, on which he applied himself to farming. This land he sold in 1868, and moved to Mound Township, where he bought 160 acres of land on the Fulton County line. Subsequently he purchased 260 acres in Harris Township, Fulton County. He also owns eighty acres in Bushnell Township with eighty acres in Mound Township and 160 acres in Friend, Neb., making a total of 740 acres. During all his mature years he has been engaged in farming and stock-raising.
In June, 1859, Mr. Havens married Catherine (Barber) Jackson, the widow of Joseph Jackson, by whom she had one son, John Franklin Jackson, now living three miles southeast of Prairie City, Ill. By this union Mr. Havens became the father of seven children: William, who died in boyhood; Daniel, married to Laura Le Master, who resides on a farm two and a half miles east of Bushnell, McDonough County; Emma, wife of James Fisher, who lives near Manley, Fulton County, Ill.; Louella, who married Cary Fisher, and is also a resident of Prairie City, Ill.; Nelson, married to Mary Watson and a resident of Fulton County, living opposite the old homestead; Gertrude, wife of Irie Le Master, residents of Mound Township, McDonough County; and Dr. Albert Havens, a practicing physician of New Philadelphia, Ill. Politically, Mr. Havens is a Republican. Although he is past the scriptural period of the Psalmist, the subject of this sketch retains vigor of mind and body and looks after his farming interests. In every way he enjoys the confidence and respect of all his neighbors.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, page 901, extracted 04 Jan 2019 by Norma Hass.