HANSON, Amaziah, one of the oldest and most prominent farmers of Mound Township, McDonough County, Ill., was born in Ross County, Ohio, on April 25, 1825. James Hanson, his father, was born in Mason County, Ky., November 18, 1799, and his mother, Elizabeth (Mackey) Hanson, was a native of the State of Pennsylvania. Grandfather Samuel Hanson moved from Kentucky to Ross County, Ohio, in 1800, and there died in 1832. His son, James Hanson, came west and lived with Amaziah until 1883, when he went to his daughter's in Missouri, and died there on August 8th of that year. The subject of this sketch bought a quarter-section of land in New Salem Township, McDonough County, in 1858, and moved thereon in 1862. In 1874, he sold this and went to Missouri, where he was engaged in farming for three years. Returning to Mound Township, he bought 160 acres of land in Section 30, where he has since lived. On September 17, 1861, Mr. Hanson was married to Eliza Fryback, a daughter of John Fryback and a native of Pickaway County, Ohio. Her father was born in Pennsylvania, but went to Pickaway Plains in Pickaway County with his parents, and there married Letitia Emerson, a native of Antietam, Va. Mrs. Fryback was taken to Pickaway County by her parents when eleven years of age. Both wife and husband are now deceased. Of their family of twelve children, Mrs. Hanson was the youngest, and besides herself, only a sister and brother survive. Mr. and Mrs. Amaziah Hanson have become the parents of the following children: Emerson, of McCook, Neb., Claim Adjuster for the Burlington & Missouri Railroad Company; Ralph, who is practicing medicine in Spokane, Wash.; Greer, who is a dentist at Lewistown, Ill.; Myra (Mrs. Riggs), of Hamilton, Ill.; Ivan M.; Edward F., who is engaged in farming; and Anna Marie. The religious belief of Mr. Hanson is that taught by the Methodist Church. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the I. O. O. F., which he joined in 1855. Politically, he is a Republican. He served as deputy of the trial court, and as clerk for a few years, at Chillicothe, Ohio, as Justice of the Peace and Supervisor in New Salem and Mound Townships and as School Trustee. He represented McDonough County in the State Legislature in 1866, being a member of the committees on Canal and Canal Lands and Township Organization. He also did his utmost to locate the University of Illinois at Champaign. For many years Mr. Hanson has been one of the most conspicuous and useful citizens of McDonough County and his record is beyond reproach.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 894-895, extracted 04 Jan 2019 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright