Van L. Hampton
HAMPTON, Van L., publisher and editor of "The Macomb Daily and Weekly By-Stander," was born in Macomb on December 29, 1860. His father was John Hampton, a native of Ohio, who came to Illinois in 1845 and settled in Macomb Township. His mother was Leademia K. (Bowen) Hampton, also a native of Ohio. At an early age the subject of this sketch moved with his parents to a farm just north of Macomb, where his boyhood was spent. He attended the Macomb public schools and worked on his father's farm. When twenty years old he entered the "Independent" office, at Colchester, Ill., and learned the printer's trade. After learning his trade he worked in various printing offices until August, 1883, when he leased the "Colchester Independent" office, for a year, later buying the business, which he successfully conducted until August, 1894. In 1894 he bought the "Macomb By-Stander," then a weekly paper, which he still conducts at the time of the publication of this work. In 1905 he established "The Macomb Daily By-Stander," which has been successful. Mr. Hampton is a member of several secret societies, held the office of member of the Macomb Board of Education for several years, and for six years was a member of the Macomb Public Library Board, being its President much of that time. He was instrumental in securing a gift from Andrew Carnegie for the erection of the Macomb Carnegie Library Building and superintended its construction. In 1906 he was made Secretary of the State Arbitration Board, and in 1907 was appointed by Governor Deneen one of the Commissioners of the State Penitentiary at Joliet. Mr. Hampton has long been active in Republican politics, and for several years has represented McDonough County on the Republican Congressional Committee.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 893-894, extracted 04 Jan 2019 by Norma Hass.