T. E. Hamilton
HAMILTON, T. E. — Yet another example of the satisfactory results of intelligent, businesslike farming, when conducted on the fertile and resourceful prairies of the Central West, is found in the rise of T. E. Hamilton, who, though only fifty-seven years of age, is in a position to permanently retire from active life, being at the present time one of the largest tax-payers in Sciota Township. Mr. Hamilton is a well informed, popular and progressive man of affairs. The surroundings of his youth, while not affording evidence of great prosperity, were such as to develop a profound appreciation of education, refinement and consideration for others. Born in Pennsylvania March 12, 1849, he is a son of David and Rebecca (Morrison) Hamilton, both natives of Pennsylvania, the former being a school teacher during forty years of his life. The elder Hamilton was of an adventurous disposition, and as a teacher moved around considerable in his native State. In 1854 he came across country to Bureau County, Ill., remained for six months, then returned to Pennsylvania, and four years later settled in Ipava, Fulton County, Ill. He taught school continually during this time, and in 1867 came to McDonough County, where he purchased eighty acres of land on Section 1, Sciota Township, formerly the property of C. V. Chandler, and for which he paid twenty dollars an acre. Here his death occurred in June, 1874, his wife surviving him until December, 1882.
T. E. Hamilton was five years old when he first came to Illinois, and eighteen when the family located on Section 1, Sciota Township. This remained his home twenty-seven years, and after the death of his father he bought out the share of his sister, consisting of forty acres, and added to this and his own share 120 acres adjoining. In 1881 he was united in marriage to Mary McWhinney, of Walnut Grove Township, who was a daughter of Samuel and Eveline McWhinney, early settlers of McDonough County. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton are the parents of four children, of whom Grace is a student in the senior year at Oberlin College, while Ray, aged nineteen, Leslie, aged twelve, and Margaret, aged eight, are living at home. In February, 1895, Mr. Hamilton sold the old homestead around which gathered so many pleasant recollections, and purchased of James M. Yaple a half-section of land on Sections 13 and 14, Sciota Township, upon which he has ever since devoted his attention to general farming and stock-raising. So large were his operations that a year ago he bought of Mrs. O. A. Robbins a quarter-section more in Section 13, and, at the present time, is on the eve of retiring from active life. He has been an important personality in the development of Sciota Township, and his efforts bear the stamp of thoroughness and thoughtfulness, and high-minded interest in the general happenings by which he has been surrounded. No one in the township has a keener appreciation of education, religion, and integrity as aids to greater progress and enlightenment, yet his activities have been of the quiet kind, centered largely in his home and among his circle of stanch and loyal friends. He is a Republican in politics, a Presbyterian in religion, and fraternally, is a Mason.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 892-893, extracted 04 Jan 2019 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright