EWING, John, who is living in comfortable and honored retirement in Macomb, Ill., was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, December 12, 1818, and there enjoyed the advantages of the primitive schools of that period. His father and mother, Thomas and Mary (Skales) Ewing, were natives of County Tyrone, Ireland. Mr. Ewing was brought up on a farm in Ohio, where he also learned the trade of a carpenter and cabinetmaker. He remained at home until he reached the age of twenty-six years, when he married and worked at cabinet-making for two years. He next bought a farm in Ohio, which he sold two years later and moved into town, doing carpenter work throughout Jefferson County. In 1853 he came to Schuyler County, Ill., and purchased a tract of prairie land, which he improved, thereby accumulating some means. At a later date he bought additional farm land, and at the time of his retirement from active efforts was the owner of 320 acres. In 1891 he moved to Macomb, where he makes his home with his son, although he divides his time between this residence and that of his daughter in Pittsburg, Kans.
The subject of this sketch was married in January, 1845, to Elizabeth Manley, who was born and schooled in Jefferson County, Ohio. The children resulting from this union were as follows: Alvin. deceased: Pardon, deceased; Homer; Margaret A., who died at the age of seventeen years; and Mary Emma (Mrs. Dr. A. R. Clark), of Pittsburg, Kans. The mother of this family is deceased, her remains being buried at Littleton, Schuyler County, Ill. In politics Mr. Ewing acts with the Democratic party. In 1869-71 he served a term in the Illinois State Legislature, as Representative from Schuyler County. His religious connection is with the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Ewing has lived a long, industrious and honorable life, and in his declining years is regarded by all who know him with feeling of great respect and esteem.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 876-877, extracted 04 Jan 2019 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright