ELLIS, Amos S., a well-known grain merchant of Industry, McDonough County, Ill., was born in Tazewell County, Ill., November 20, 1858, a son of Roland and Frances (Hodgson) Ellis, his father having been born in the vicinity of Logansport, Ind., and his mother in that State. Mrs. Frances Ellis's father, James Hodgson, was a native of England, and her mother, Delilah (Payne) Hodgson, was born in Indiana. Roland Ellis brought his family to Tazewell County in 1856, and settled on a farm.
Amos S. Ellis is the third of a family of seven children. He remained at home until he was twenty-one years old, attending school at intervals, and then farmed on his own account near home for nine years. He next went to Vermilion County, Ill., and bought a farm which he disposed of after a short time, and moved to Schuyler County, where he staid one year. In the spring of 1890 he came to Industry Township and bought a farm of eighty-two acres, on which he lived until 1897. He then moved to Rushville, Ill., where he conducted a livery and sales barn, and dealt in mules and horses for two years. Afterward he spent some time in Industry, and then returned to his work at the Rushville livery barn, to which he devoted his attention for one year. Subsequently, he spent two years on his farm in Industry Township, and in April, 1903, moved to the village of Industry, where he has since been engaged in buying grain, horses and mules.
Mr. Ellis was married December 19, 1884, to Ella Payne, who was born in Schuyler County, Ill., and there attended the district schools. Two children, Forrest and Nettie, have resulted from this union. In politics, Mr. Ellis is a Democrat. He has served as Township Assessor three terms. In the spring of 1902 he was elected Supervisor, and was re-elected in the spring of 1904. In these offices he has rendered efficient service, and is popular with his constituents. Fraternally, Mr. Ellis belongs to the S. of A., M. W. A., and I. O. O. F.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907.