W. S. Davis
DAVIS, W. S., one of the most prominent farmers in Blandinsville Township, McDonough County, Ill., was born in the locality where he now resides in 1846, a son of Thomas and Pamelia (Job) Davis, natives of the State of Tennessee. The father, Thomas Davis, came to McDonough County in 1828, and settled where the town of Blandinsville is now located. Parmelia Job, who became his wife, was a daughter of William Job, who founded Job's Settlement in McDonough County in 1826, but went away twice on account of threatened Indian troubles. Her family located on the Seybold place, east of the town site, and built the first house in this section. It was built of logs, and stood where the Davis barn now stands. Thomas Davis assisted in the organization of Blandinsville Township, and at different times held all the local offices. During the Civil War he served in the Seventy-eighth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. In 1832 he bought the farm of 160 acres now occupied by the subject of this sketch.
W. S. Davis grew up to manhood on this farm, attending the public school in his boyhood. Here he has lived ever since, successfully engaged in general farming and stock-raising. In 1870 he was married to Mary E. Keithley, who was born and schooled in Good Hope, Ill. Of this union were born six children: Ira O., Alpha, Thomas, Pamelia (Mrs. Miller), Stella (Mrs. Banks), and Tillie (Mrs. Chipman).
The religious belief of Mr. Davis is in accord with the doctrines of the Christian Church. Politically, he acts with the Republican party. He is widely known among the people of his township, and commands the respect of all as combining those qualities that go to make up a first-class farmer and citizen.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright