DAVIDSON, David C., a well-known and substantial farmer of Bethel Township, McDonough County, Ill., was born in Halland County, near Halmstead, Sweden, May 15, 1848, a son of Christopher and Hannah (Anderson) Davidson, both natives of Sweden. His paternal grandfather, David Davidson, and his grandfather on the maternal side, Gabrielle Anderson, were also natives of that country. David Davidson, who was the younger of two boys born to his parents, lived on his father's home farm until he was twenty-one years old, when he went to sea as a sailor, making the voyage to Liverpool, England, then to Russia, and back to England. Later he sailed to Hong Kong, China. After sailing four years, he returned to Sweden and soon afterward came to the United States, spent one year in Warren County, Ill., and moved thence to McDonough County, where he farmed three years in Emmet Township. In March, 1876, he bought a farm of eighty acres in Bethel Township, to which he added from time to time until his present farm contains 280 acres of choice land in Sections 14 and 15. His crops are mainly corn and small grain, and he also raises cattle, horses and hogs.
On May 17, 1872, Mr. Davidson was united in marriage with Nettie C. Allison, who was also a native of Halland County, Sweden, where she was educated. Her parents, Elias Swanson and Nettie Christenson, were born and died there, during his life being engaged in agricultural pursuits. Mrs. Davidson's grandparents were also natives of the same locality. She was the third of a family of six children--four girls and two boys--one of her brothers, Benjamin J. Allison, now residing in Chalmers Township, McDonough County. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. David C. Davidson has resulted in three children: Hattie J., formerly a teacher in the public schools; Nannie E. (Mrs. John L. Curtis), who lives on the homestead in Section 23, Bethel Township, McDonough County; and Selma E. (Mrs. Fred R. Clark), residing on a farm in Littleton Township, Schuyler County, Ill. In politics, Mr. Davidson takes sides with the Republican party, and has served as School Treasurer since 1896. His religious connection is with the Swedish Lutheran Church. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the I. O. O. F., K. of P., D. O. K. K. and B. P. O. E. By industry, perseverance and frugality, the subject of this sketch has accumulated a handsome competency, and is regarded as one of the most substantial farmers and useful citizens of Bethel Township.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright