COX, William, a prominent and successful Life and Fire Insurance Agent, of Macomb, McDonough County, Ill., was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, October 8, 1848. His parents, Thomas and Emma (Johnson) Cox, were natives of Pennsylvania, the former having been born in Chester County, in that State. The paternal grandfather, Thomas Cox, was a native of Ireland. William Cox pursued his early studies in the public schools of Illinois. When he was eight years old his father came to McDonough County and settled on a farm in Eldorado Township, where he served as a Justice of the Peace for fifty-two years. William was the youngest of ten children, and remained with his father until the latter's death, in 1892, at the age of ninety-three years. The mother passed away when William was but two years old. The subject of this sketch stayed on the old home farm of 140 acres until March, 1903, when he sold the place and moved to Macomb, where he bought a residence and established himself as a fire insurance agent, taking up life insurance also in connection with the Metropolitan Insurance Company. While he was engaged in farming he was an extensive dealer in live stock, shipping from 100 to 300 carloads per year. He was always looked upon as upright and honorable in all his dealings, the "golden rule" being his motto.
Mr. Cox was married, September 30, 1874, to Alveretta Beal, who was born in Beaver County, Pa., and received her early mental training In the public schools in Illinois. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Cox are: Bertha, Mabel, Clifford, Gaylord and Mildred. Politically, Mr. Cox is a Democrat. He has served two terms as Township Collector, was twice elected Supervisor and was twice nominated for County Treasurer. His religious connection is with the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Cox is a useful and public-spirited member of the community, and his business, political and social record is beyond adverse criticism.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright