CONWELL, Charles, formerly an extensive and successful farmer in Blandinsville Township, McDonough County, but now living in retirement in Blandinsville, was born in Zanesville, Ohio, on March 17, 1843, son of John and Sarah (Crabtree) Conwell, the former a native of the State of Delaware and the latter of English birth. John Conwell, who was a millwright by occupation, in 1864 came to Hancock County, Ill., where he mainly followed agricultural pursuits during the rest of his life. Charles Conwell, the son, received his early education in Perry County, Ohio, came to McDonough County in 1873, and bought 160 acres of land in Blandinsville Township. To this he added from time to time until he is now the owner of 730 acres of fine farming land. The improvements on his different farms have been made by him. In 1903 he built his present home in Blandinsville and moved into it in December of that year. Since then he has lived in retirement from active labor. During the Civil War he served as a member of the One Hundred and Sixtieth Regiment Ohio National Guard for one hundred days, seeing active service in the Shenandoah Valley and the advance on Richmond.
On September 25, 1872, the subject of this sketch was united in marriage with Emma Grigsby, who was burn in McDonough County, a daughter of Redmond and Catherine (Ray) Grigsby, natives of Virginia and Kentucky. Mr. Grigsby came to McDonough County in the fall of 1830, just before the "Deep Snow." To Mr. and Mrs. Conwell were born five children, as follows: Cora (Mrs. M. G. Davis); Arthur R., who is on the paternal farm; W. Clifton, who is also on one of his father's farms; and Roscoe W. and Hazel, who are with their parents. Politically, Mr. Conwell is a Republican, and has held the office of School Director. He represents one of the best types of the American farmer–intelligent, careful, methodical and upright throughout his entire active career.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907.