CHURCHILL, Cadwallader Slaughter, an early citizen and, for a time, one of the most prominent merchants in Macomb, was born on the old Miller farm, called the "Churchill Farm," five miles north of Macomb, April 25, 1834. His parents, Richard Henry and Sarah M. (Brown) Churchill, were natives of Kentucky. Richard H. Churchill, who was engaged in the dry-goods business, died when his son, Cadwallader S., was three years old, and his widow returned to Kentucky, with her family, where they remained on a farm near Hodginsville, until the subject of this sketch had nearly reached maturity, when he went to Pittsfield, Ill., where he spent two years. In early boyhood his mother had given him his mental instruction, but afterwards he earned his schooling. He attended the school in Pittsfield for two years, and then returned to Kentucky, where he taught in a seminary at Hodginsville. He had become a good Latin scholar, and afterwards assisted Professor Hewett in this branch, in his institution at Elizabethtown, Ky., meanwhile pursuing his studies at night. During his early life, he was always inclined towards literary pursuits. After finishing his studies and teaching for a time, he came to Macomb, and entered the employ of Iverson L. Twyman in the real-estate business. Subsequently, he was employed as a clerk in George M. Wells' dry-goods store, and, still later, entered into partnership with Josiah Burton in the dry-goods business. Disposing of his interest in this, he went into the lumber trade in company with Henry C. Twyman. His interest in this concern he later sold and spent the period of the "gold fever" in the West.
On April 3, 1860, in Macomb, Mr. Churchill was united in marriage with Mary Evelyn Twyman, a daughter of one of the most prominent citizens of Macomb. Mr. Twyman was extensively engaged in the dry-goods business, and in real-estate transactions. He held several county offices and also served as Postmaster two terms. To Mr. and Mrs. Churchill were born three children, namely: Nancy Willis (Mrs. Scott), deceased; Alfred Brown; and Iverson Louis. Politically, Mr. Churchill was a Democrat, and for twelve years he held the office of Clerk of the Circuit Court. Religiously, he was a member of the Christian Church, and fraternally, was affiliated with the A. F. & A. M. He was a man of strict rectitude of character, of cheerful, kindly disposition, and was universally esteemed.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright