Henry L. Argenbright
ARGENBRIGHT, Henry L., one of the most enterprising and substantial farmers in Blandinsville Township, McDonough County, Ill., was born in Crawford County, Ind., on February 14, 1855, and there in boyhood attended the public schools. He is a son of August and Catherine (Bryles) Argenbright, natives of Indiana. August Argenbright came to Blandinsville at an early period, and carried on farming. The subject of this sketch arrived in McDonough County in 1871, and located in Hire Township. He engaged in farming until 1880, when he purchased twenty-six acres of land in Section 2 of that township. In 1898 he bought his present place in Section 35, Blandinsville Township, and now owns 242 acres in this Section, and in Sections 1 and 2, Hire Township. On this land Mr. Argenbright has made all the improvements. He has always followed agricultural pursuits, has been one of the most extensive feeders of stock in this section, and is also engaged in breeding Percheron horses. He has one of the finest homes in McDonough County, equipped with all modern improvements.
On December 25, 1877, Mr. Argenbright was married to Ellie Davidson, who was born in La Grange County, Ind. Five children have resulted from this union, namely: Frank (deceased at the age of ten years); Fanny, Mabel, Ethel and Gilbert. Politically, Mr. Argenbright is a Democrat. Religiously, he leans toward the Methodist Church. Fraternally, he is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America. Mrs. Argenbright's parents, John and Nancy (Gilbert) Davidson, were born, respectively, in Ohio and New York, and, coming to McDonough County in 1854, located on the farm where she now resides.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, page 815. Extracted 11 Oct 2018 by Norma Hass.