John M. Archer
ARCHER, John M., formerly a prosperous farmer in Macomb Township, McDonough County, Ill., now living in retirement in Macomb, was born April 14, 1827, in Warren County, Ohio, where he enjoyed the limited advantages of the common schools of that period. He is a son of John and Rachel (Hillman) Archer, natives of New Jersey, the father having been born in Camden County. John M. Archer was the youngest of six children born to his parents. In his youth he learned the plasterer's trade, which he followed from 1847 to 1865. Afterward, until 1868, he worked at farming. The period between April, 1868, and January, 1869, he spent in Bushnell. Early in 1869 he bought a farm in Macomb Township, on which he lived until 1882, when he located in Macomb. Here he bought a tract of three acres, on which he built a house and made all necessary improvements. These premises he now occupies in comfortable retirement, free from the strain of active exertion.
On May 2, 1852, Mr. Archer was married to Mary E. Parshall, whose birthplace was in Wood County, Ohio, where she attended public school. Her parents, James G. and Margaret (Staley) Parshall, were born in Allegheny County, Pa. This union resulted in the following children, namely: Rachel Elmy (Mrs. M. L. Harris), born in 1853 and now living in College Springs, Iowa; Florence Belle (Mrs. John F. Booth), deceased, born in 1855; Mary E. (Mrs. George Smith), born in 1857; G. Franklin, born in 1860; John W., born July 20, 1863, and Elizabeth G., born March 8, 1865, who became the wife of Elmer E. Pollick, of California. In politics Mr. Archer is a Republican. He has served as Supervisor for one term, and as member of the City Council from the Third Ward for three terms. Fraternally, he belongs to the Masonic order, Macomb Lodge, No. 17. Mr. Archer spent about thirty-five years in earning the repose which he now enjoys, conscious of having well performed the duties of life.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, page 815. Extracted 11 Oct 2018 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright