John T. Andrews
ANDREWS, John T., a well-known resident of Chalmers Township, McDonough County, Ill., where he is successfully engaged in stock-raising, was born in McDonough County, April 27, 1855, a son of James and Rosanna (Bown) Andrews, natives of Middlezoy, England. His parents came to McDonough County in the fall of 1854, and settled in Scotland Township, where they remained four years. The family then moved to Chalmers Township, where the father bought a farm, the cultivation of which occupied him until his death March 26, 1903.
John T. Andrews is the eldest of a family of eleven children born to his parents. In early youth he attended public school, and remained on the home farm until he reached the age of twenty-five years. He then entered into matrimony and conducted a rented farm six years. At the end of that period he bought seventy acres of farming land in Section 26, and eighty acres in Section 25, Chalmers Township. Here he devotes his attention to raising Shorthorn cattle and thoroughbred Poland-China hogs, with corn and grain for feeding purposes.
On December 23, 1879, Mr. Andrews was joined in wedlock with Mary M. Johnson, who was born in Franklin County, Ohio, and attended school in Illinois. Of this union eight children have been born, namely: Mary Leona, who died in infancy; Amy Ethel, Rose Malinda, James Johnson, John Clifford, Mary Lenora, Laura, Mildred and Ada Lois. In politics the subject of this sketch gives his support to the Republican party. He has served as Supervisor, and was elected Highway Commissioner in the spring of 1903. His religious faith is founded on the doctrines of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Andrews is thorough and systematic in the conduct of his work, and the results produced attest the close and intelligent attention he bestows upon it.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, pages 812-813. Extracted 11 Oct 2018 by Norma Hass.
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright