ANDREWS, Charles, a well-known and thrifty farmer of Chalmers Township, McDonough County, Ill., was born in Somersetshire, England, September 24, 1826. His parents were John and Ann (Biddlecomb) Andrews, natives of England. William Andrews, his paternal grandfather, married a lady named Williams, both being of English nativity. Thomas and Mary (Locky) Biddlecomb of English birth, were the maternal grandparents. Charles Andrews and his brother Henry Andrews, came to Philadelphia, Pa., May 4 1850. They journeyed on foot and by canal and wagon to McDonough County, Ill., where they engaged in farming on rented land for thirteen years. In 1856 Charles went back to England, where he remained six months. Returning to McDonough County, they operated rented farms until 1864. In the fall of that year, Mr. Andrews bought a farm of eighty acres in Section 24, Chalmers Township, to which he moved May 6, 1864. Ten years later he bought forty acres more, adjoining his farm. He cleared the tract of all timber, built a comfortable house and made other improvements and now has one of the finest farms in the township. The religious faith of Mr. Andrews is based on the creed of the Presbyterian Church. On political issues he is affiliated with the Republican party. His brother, Henry never married, and died in November, 1902, at the home of his brother-in-law, Joseph Bown, in Scotland Township.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907, volume 2, page 812. Submitted by Joanne Scobee Morgan [email protected]
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright