DOUGLAS, Adam, in period of residence, one of the oldest farmers in McDonough County, Ill., as also one of the most prosperous, is the subject of this sketch, who was born in Roxburghshire, Scotland, December 31, 1833. He is a son of John and Jenerite (Maine) Douglas, natives of Scotland, as was also the paternal grandfather, George Douglas. Adam Douglas was the youngest in a family of eleven children. In boyhood he attended the public schools of Roxburghshire, and spent his youth in farm work. In 1852 he came to the United States, and, journeying to Illinois, began farming in Eldorado Township, McDonough County. Seven months afterward he went to Fulton County, Ill., where he remained one year. Then returning to McDonough County, he rented a farm in New Salem Township, in the same county, which he cultivated for five years. At the end of that period he purchased a tract of 240 acres in Section 36, Macomb Township, on which he has made fine improvements. This tract he has transformed from nearly unbroken prairie, barren and uninviting, into one of the most productive and attractive farms in the county, a development which attests the industry, energy and thrift that characterize its owner. Besides these qualities, Mr. Douglas is favorably known beyond the limits of his township for his absolute reliability and high character.
On March 1, 1864, Mr. Douglas was united in marriage with Catherine Kelly, a native of Scotland. Five children have resulted from this union, namely: John F., James K., Bessie (Mrs. H. N. Jackson), of Bardolph, Ill.; George C. and Charles A. In politics, Mr. Douglas is a Republican, but does not affiliate with any church.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907.