COOK, John W. (deceased), formerly a prominent and prosperous merchant of Macomb, McDonough County, Ill., was born in Campbellsburg, Pa., May 8, 1844. In boyhood, he attended the district school in his neighborhood for a short time, but was compelled to abandon his studies when quite young in order to assist in the support of his mother and sister. For the better accomplishment of this object he learned the tinner's trade, and then became chief clerk of Gorham & Cottrell. After a number of years, in partnership with John Scott, he bought out this concern, of which he continued to be one of the proprietors for a considerable period. Eventually disposing of his interest, he engaged in the grocery business, which occupied his attention except during the last three years of his life, which were spent as an insurance agent, representing several companies. He was a stockholder in the sewer-pipe works, and was a man of substantial means.
At the Randolph Hotel in Macomb, on August 31, 1873, Mr. Cook was married to Jennie Randolph, who was born June 3, 1848, and two children were the offspring of their union: Rea Randolph and Jay.
In his political views, Mr. Cook was a pronounced and aggressive Republican. He served as Supervisor for several years, and was also President of the School Board. Religiously, he was a member of the Presbyterian Church, fraternally, was identified with the A. F. & A. M. and the M. W. A. His death occurred December 21, 1900. Mr. Cook was a man of high character and excellent business judgment and ability, and his reputation in the community was that of a public-spirited and useful citizen.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907.