McDonough ILGenWeb ILGenWeb

11907 HISTORY
George M. Cole

COLE, George M., a prominent and successful farmer of Emmet Township, McDonough County, Ill., was born in Burlington, Wis., August 2, 1868, a son of Emory O. and Sarah (Dickerman) Cole, the former a native of Streetsboro, Ohio, and the later, of Jefferson, Ill. In 1872, Emory O. Cole moved to Chicago, where he was engaged in the livery and undertaking business, and also kept a grocery. For two years he served as City Oil Inspector under Mayor Heath. In the fall of 1883 he spent a year in Macomb, and purchased a farm of 480 acres in Emmet Township. He moved with his family to the farm in 1884, and conducted it until 1893.

George M. Cole (one of a pair of twins) is the second of the family of children born to his parents, three of whom are now living. In boyhood he received his education in the Chicago public schools, and assisted his father on the farm until 1891, when he married and took charge of its operation. His farm is conducted in a systematic manner, and with the best results, and he is looked upon as a representative of the best agricultural element in McDonough County.

On October 15, 1891, Mr. Cole was joined in matrimony with Mary E. Guy, who was born in Emmet Township, and attended the public and Macomb Normal schools. They have become the parents of three children, Florence M., A. Donald and Emory F. Religiously, the subject of this sketch is connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church. Politically, he is an earnest and active Republican, and for the past six years he has been prominent on campaign committees. He has served as Chairman of the County Central Committee of his party.


Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907.