CANOTE, William Henry, formerly a diligent and successful farmer of Colchester Township and now living at leisure in the village of Colchester, McDonough County, Ill., was born in Putnam County, Ind., May 22, 1831, a son of Henry and Peachie (Mumpine) Canote, natives of Kentucky. The grandfathers on the paternal and maternal sides were Jacob Canote and Wilson Mumpine. Henry Canote, the father, came with his family to McDonough County in 1836, and settled in what is now Colchester Township, where he entered eighty acres of Government land, on which he lived the remainder of his life.
The subject of this sketch was the fourth of a family of five children born to his parents, four of whom were boys. In boyhood he received his mental training in the public schools. He bought the interests of the other heirs of his father's estate and lived on the home farm until 1898, when he retired to Colchester, where he had purchased property. He owned 290 acres of land in one tract, besides twenty-five acres of timber and the homestead of eighty acres, of which he sold all but the 290 acres.
On December 18, 1856, he was united in marriage with Hester M. Monk and their union resulted in three children. Of these John, who was born in Colchester Township January 8, 1859, is the only one now living. Mrs. Canote died December 14, 1862, and on April 17, 1864, he was married to Mary J. Burford, who died February 18, 1904, having borne him four children, namely: Calvin, who resides in Colchester; Jessie, Mrs. Oscar J. Linstrum, of Girard, Ill.; Effie, wife of William Perkins, of Colchester Township; and Birdie, Mrs. George Fulder, of Colchester. March 17, 1905, he married as his third wife, Mrs. Lucinda (Frank) White, with whom he is now living in Colchester. Mr. Canote endorses the principles of the Democratic party, but in local affairs supports the measures which he believes to be for the best interests of the whole people.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907.