McDonough ILGenWeb ILGenWeb

11907 HISTORY
James Canon


CANON, James H., who owns and cultivates a fine farm in Mound Township, McDonough County, Ill., is a son of James A. and Rachel (Sullivan) Canon, and a grandson of Robert Canon and Joseph Sullivan, on the paternal and maternal sides, respectively. His father was a native of Kentucky, and his mother of Washington County, Pa. James A. Canon came to McDonough County with his parents in 1834, Robert Canon having purchased eighty acres of land there. The latter lived on this land the rest of his life. His son, James A., lived there some years and sold out in 1857, going to Iowa. On returning, six weeks later, he bought 160 acres of land in Mound Township, where he lived until his death, in January, 1900.

James H. Canon was born in Chalmers Township, McDonough County, December 17, 1854, where in boyhood he enjoyed the advantages of the district school. He was the fourth in a family of five children, and lived with his parents until he reached the age of nineteen years. He then left home and did farm work by the month for two years, after which he operated a farm for himself. In the spring of 1883, he bought 102 1/2 acres of land, which constitutes the main portion of his present farm. To the first purchase he added until he now owns 170 acres, on which he carries on general farming and raises cattle, horses and hogs. He is an energic and painstaking farmer, and his labors are attended with good results.

Mr. Canon was first married in May, 1876, to Nancy J. Amos, who was born in Kentucky. This union was the source of five children, as follows: Estella, Astoria, Abner E., Joseph A. and James B. McK. The second marriage was to Mynea C. Jackson, who was born in Mound Township, McDonough County, and received her early mental training in the district school. One child, Lola Mary, is the offspring of this union. Politically, Mr. Canon casts his vote in favor of the Republican party, and has served the township one term as Road Commissioner. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the M. W. A.


Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907.