McDonough ILGenWeb ILGenWeb

11907 HISTORY
J. James Campbell


CAMPBELL, J. James, who has successfully conducted a jewelry store in Bushnell, McDonough County, Ill., since 1882, was born in Macomb, Ill., May 21, 1845, and there enjoyed the advantages of the public schools. He is a son of James M. and Louisa (Farwell) Campbell, his father having been born in Frankfort, Ky., in 1803, and his mother being a native of Vermont. James M. Campbell was the first of the pioneer settlers of McDonough County, coming there by official appointment for the purpose of organizing the county in 1831. This organization he assisted in perfecting, as well as that of the town of Macomb, the streets of which he laid out. In 1835 he was appointed County Recorder, was the first Postmaster of Macomb, being appointed in 1842, and held the office of County Clerk for eighteen years, receiving his commission as Recorder and County Clerk from Governor Reynolds. In politics, he was a Democrat and was very prominent and influential in the local councils of his party, having held almost every office in the town and county. He died at Macomb in 1891, at the age of eighty-four years.

J. James Campbell, the son, came to Bushnell in 1882, and established himself in the jewelry business, which he has conducted continuously ever since at his present location, affording evidence of his stablility of character and persistent adherence to his undertakings. He is known to nearly all of his fellow citizens, enjoys a fine patronage and commands the confidence and respect of those with whom he come in contact.

On August 19, 1872, Mr. Campbell was united in marriage with Martha Lipe, who was born and educated in McDonough County. The children resulting from this union are: Lula, Mary and Maude, the first and last of whom are married. In politics, Mr. Campbell is a Democrat. He has served as Township Collector, and was a member of the School Board for nine years. Fraternally, he is a member of the order of Loyal Americans, the I. O. O. F., K. of P. and M. W. of A.


Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907.