McDonough ILGenWeb ILGenWeb

11907 HISTORY
Henry Bogue

Henry Bogue, who owns and operates one of the finest eighty-acre farms in McDonough County, Ill., situated in Eldorado Township, was born in Fulton County, Ill., October 10, 1853, a son of Joel and Sarah (Freeman) Bogue, the former having been born in Ohio. His paternal grandfather, Job Bogue, was also a native of Ohio. Marshall and Europa (Stafford) Freeman were the grandparents on the maternal side. Joel Bogue came to Illinois with his father, who was one of the earliest settlers in Fulton County, where he located on a farm just east of Vermont. He afterwards went to Kansas, and lived on a farm in Woodson County, that state, about ten years. Returning to Fulton County, he remained there about three years and then went to Oregon, where he died in February, 1902. He was twice married. His first wife died a short time before he went to Kansas, and he afterwards married Ella Morley, a native of the state of Pennsylvania.

Henry Bogue returned to Illinois in 1877 and worked out for five years in McDonough County after which he lived two years on a rented farm. In 1884 he bought his present farm of eighty acres in Section 10, Eldorado Township, and moved there after his marriage. When he purchased this farm there were no improvements on it, and he has built all the fine buildings which now make it an attractive place, enclosing it with fencing, and tilling the whole of it. It is now, owing to its owner's intelligence, energy and enterprise, one of the best improved farms in the county.

On February 12, 1855, Mr. Bogue was united in marriage with Cora Snowden, who was born in Eldorado Township where, in her youth, she attended the common schools. Five children have been born to them, namely: Glenn R., Freeman S., Travus Lee, Flod T., and J. R. In politics, Mr. Bogue is a supporter of the Democratic party, and served as Supervisor of the township in 1903-04. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the M. W. A.


Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907. Submitted by Joanne Scobee Morgan <[email protected]>