H. Austin Allison
ALLISON, H. Austin, a prominent citizen of Good Hope, McDonough Co., Ill., who is there successfully engaged in the banking business, was born in Ross County, Ohio, on February 2, 1849, son of William and Margaret (Eakle) Allison, natives of the state of Virginia. William Allison was a farmer and surveyor by occupation. He came to McDonough County in 1852 and carried on farming. The subject of this sketch was educated at Cherry Grove Academy and Lincoln College, Ill., and was engaged in mercantile pursuits in Good Hope until 1890, when, in connection with J. H. Cummings and Q. C. Ward, he organized the Bank of Good Hope, with a capital of $20,000. It is a private banking concern and has a membership in the State Bankers' Association. On September 2, 1875, Mr. Allison was united in marriage with Mary J. Campbell, who was born in McDonough County, a daughter of David and Winifred (Bridges) Campbell. Two children have resulted from their union, Alvah and Charles.
Politically, Mr. Allison supports the Democratic party. He served two terms as Supervisor of Sciota Township, and has held the office of President of the Village Board. He is an elder in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, representing that church in the General Assembly of 1902. He bears the reputation of a sound and perspicacious financier. Mr. Allison was made a Mason in 1870, and is a member of Good Hope Lodge, No. 617, A. F. & A. M., and has filled several offices in the organization.
Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907. Submitted by Joanne Scobee Morgan [email protected]