McDonough ILGenWeb ILGenWeb

11907 HISTORY
John Allen

ALLEN, John, who was formerly a successful farmer in Mound Township, McDonough County, Ill., and is now a retired citizen of Macomb, that county, was born in Pulaski County, Ky., July 23, 1841, and there attended public school. His father, Rufus T. Allen, was born in the same county, and his mother Rhoda (Adams) Allen was a native of the same state. His paternal grandparents, David and Patsie (Harris) Allen, were born, respectively, in South Carolina and Virginia, and his grandfather on the maternal side, James Adams, was a Kentuckian. The maternal grandmother was originally a Miss Carr. Rufus T. Allen and his wife had three children, of whom their son John was the eldest. In 1854 the family went to Missouri and in 1863, they came to Walnut Grove Township, McDonough County, Ill., where the father purchased a farm. John Allen remained with his parents until he was thirty-two years old, when he bought the Mound Township farm. There he was engaged in general farming and stock raising until the spring of 1901, when he retired from active business and removed to Macomb. Here he built a find residence on East Carroll Street, where he enjoys ample leisure.

On February 12, 1874, Mr. Allen was united in marriage with Mary L. Derby, who was born in Brimfield, Ill., where she attended the district school. The children resulting from this union are: Rosa Belle (Mrs. O. G. Thompson), Daisy May (Mrs. E. H. McCullough), and Bessie Irene, formerly a teacher in the Macomb Preparatory Normal School, now the wife of Prof. O. B. Read, who holds the Chair of Sciences in Winnebago College, Minn., in which institution both will hereafter continue their educational work.

Politically, the subject of this sketch is a Democrat and served for six years as Treasurer of Mound Township. His religious connection is with the Free Will Baptist Church. As a farmer he pursued intelligent and thrifty methods, as a public official he was faithful to his trust, and as a citizen, he is highly esteemed.


Source: The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McDonough County, compiled by Dr. Newton Bateman, and Paul Shelby, 1907. Submitted by Joanne Scobee Morgan [email protected]