Chapter 25 - The Village of Colmar
This town was laid out in the fall of 1857, by W. M. Graves. The plat lies in the southeast quarter of section 7, and west of the Quincy branch of the C. B. & Q. railroad, which runs in a northeasterly and southwesterly course through this part of the county. The plat is composed of 80 lots, 50x125 feet, in blocks of 10 lots each. At one time considerable life was manifested and several stores sprang up, making the prospects for a business point quite flattering, but at present there is only one store of general merchandise, operated by John McAllister. The location is rather unfavorable for a town, large proportions of the surrounding country being timber land. The principal shipments of the place are wood and grain. During the year of 1884, 24 cars of stock, 43 of grain and 61 of wood were shipped from this point. Johnson & Company opened the first store, carrying a general stock. The first house was erected by Mrs. Ann Powell, which is now occupied by H. A. Hendricks. The first school was a three months' term, taught by Mr. Simmons, in a dwelling house. The nearest school at present is located one mile north, and is at present taught by W. M. Matteson.
The Colmar postoffice was established in the depot in 1859, and J. D. Berry was commissioned postmaster, who also received the first letter, who is also the present incumbent of the office, and enjoys the confidence of all.
The first religious services were held at Colmar in the summer of 1860. Dr. William Boog conducted the meeting in the freight room of the depot. The nearest place of worship at present is St. Mary's church in Hancock county.
WHITE FLOCK CHURCH
This church, which belongs to the Methodist denomination, is situated on the east half of section 11, and was built in the summer of 1866. Rev. Saunders preaches every two weeks.
UNITED BRETHREN CHURCH OF LAMOINE
This church was erected on section 20, Lamoine township, in 1862, by Newton Schrakes. The first pastor of the organization was John Condon. At present there is a membership of about 12, with John Willstead as pastor.
Source: The History of McDonough County, together with sketches of the towns, villages and townships, educational, civil, military and political history; portraits of prominent individuals, and biographies of the representative citizens, 1885, pages 663-664. Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen