Chapter 22 - Tennessee Township
PROMINENT PEOPLE OF TENNESSEE TOWNSHIP
Among those whose sketches are necessary to the completeness of the history of the township are the following, most of whom have spent the greater part of their lives within her borders:
Rutherford McClure owns 1,200 acres of land on section 3, Tennessee township. He divides his attention between farming and stock-raising. He raises horses, cattle and graded sheep, and has on this farm three large drains, for the purpose of watering his immense stock of cattle and sheep. He was born in Highland county, Ohio, on the 26th of September, 1819, his parents being John and Susannah (Collier) McClure. Mrs. McClure's father was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and among others was in the battle of Bunker Hill, and for his bravery he was presented with a sword by Marquis de Lafayette. That sword is now in the possession of the family, and is in the keeping of James Crawford, of Rose county, Ohio, one of his grandsons. When Rutherford came to this county in the fall of 1839, he was unmarried and a young man. He remained in the neighborhood in which he now resides until the following June, when be went to Warsaw and took a boat for Cincinnati. On arriving at that place he started on foot for his home, which was some 75 miles. In November, of the same year, he started back to McDonough county, Illinois, with the intention of making this his future home, and in 1842 he purchased his present location. He was married in this county, on the 9th of November, 1841, to Sarah White, a sister of Stephen White, and a daughter of Thomas and Mary White. They have seven children now living: Martha, married William Baumgartner, residing in Hire township; Susannah, married George Moon, now living in Tennessee township; John, died in September, 1881; Thomas, died when a child; Alice, married John Pullan, of Hire township; Edward, married Mary Flint; Marion; Clara, died in August, 1863; Lee and Jane.
John S. Douglas, is a native of Frederick county, Maryland, and was born on the 3d of June, 1814. His parents were Samuel and Rebecca (Young) Douglas, the former of whom was killed in Ohio, in 1829, by a falling log. His mother died in 1878, at the age of 92 years. When John was 12 years of age, he moved with his parents to Belmont county, Ohio, and in 1854 he left there and came to Fulton county, Illinois, and was engaged in the mercantile business in Vermont. In 1857, he came to McDonough county, and established his business in the village of Tennessee, and afterward sold out to William Latimer. In the spring of 1872, he removed to his present location on section 34, Tennessee township, where he has 80 acres of land, and raises stock and grain and other products. Mr. Douglas was married in Ohio, on the 20th of January, 1842, to Caroline Bevan. Her father, Lewis Bevan, died in January, 1860, and her mother died in 1880. Mr. and Mrs. Douglas have had nine children, eight of whom are now living and whose names are: Lewis, married Josie Bales, living in Des Moines, Iowa; Stacy B., married Harriet J. Stephenson, now living in Kansas; Martha A., wife of Michael Doran, of Adams county, Illinois; Ellen, married G. H. McDaniel, of Bethel township; William R., married Emma Long, and is now living in Kansas; Elmer E., teaching school in Fulton county; Minnie L., teaching in this township; and Eddie O., who is living with his parents. Mr. Douglas' son, Lewis, enlisted in company C., 64th Illinois infantry. He was in the battles of Corinth, Iuka, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge and several others. He was in the grand review at Washington, and in 1865, returned again to his friends.
William Cowan was born in Nova Scotia, on the 16th day of February, 1828. His parents being John and Jane (Mitchell) Cowan, both natives of Scotland, but had removed to Nova Scotia. When William was a few years old his parents returned to Scotland where they remained some four or five years, and again returned to Nova Scotia. When William was 14 years of age, the family removed to the United States, and located at Clinton, Summit county, Ohio. They remained in that place until a few years later, when they removed to Youngstown, Ohio, and in that place William received his education and was reared to manhood. They next went to Appanoose county, Iowa, where Mr. Cowan died in the fall of 1856, where upon Mrs. Cowan came to Colchester, Illinois. While in the vicinity of Youngstown, William followed the occupation of mining, and from there moved to Colchester, McDonough county, in November, 1855. On his arrival at that place, he at first began work for Roberts & Pearson, in their mine. There was at that time very little coal mining done in that place, and he witnessed the growth of the coal interests of Colchester from their infancy to their present state. He was appointed superintendent of the works of the Quincy coal company, when William Morris had the control of that company. Mr. Cowan held that position about two years when he gave up mining, and during the years 1868 and 1869 he was engaged in the dry goods business at Colchester, his store being where Enos’ place now stands on Front street. He sold out to Anson and James Underhill in 1869, and retired from business pursuits to those of an agricultural nature, and purchased 169 acres of land from the heirs of the Riley estate. Mr. Cowan was married in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, in October, 1856, to Mary Ann Bright, a native of England, and a daughter of Thomas and Mary Bright. Mr. and Mrs. Cowan are the parents of seven children: William, living now in Colchester; Thomas, now residing in California; Mary, wife of Charles Lowderman, of Tennessee township; Charles, Samuel, Lillie, Emily. Mr. Cowan was one of the promoters and organizers of the Miners' Friendly Society, and he and Thomas Arundel, now deceased, have held the office of treasurer of the society with the exception of a short time. He has also held the office of assessor of Tennessee township two terms, and collector one term. He is a man of great ability, and is held in high esteem by all who know him.
John Farrenkopf was born in Baden, Germany, in March, 1827, his parents being Michael and Eva (Balveriset) Farrenkopf. John was reared in Baden, and when 14 years of age, his father died, and John was left to help provide for the family. When 26 years of age he emigrated to America, and proceeded to Cleveland, Ohio, where he was engaged in farming about 10 miles from the latter city. He there worked about one year, when he removed to Galesburg, Illinois, and was there engaged in the depot of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company, until 1860, when he came to Colchester, McDonough county. When he first located in this place he was engaged in the mining operation of the Quincy Coal Company. He held this position about two years, when he began farming on his present location, which is located on section 17, Tennessee township. He has now 120 acres of land, and pays attention to both farming and the raising of stock. Mr. Farrenkopf was united in marriage on the 10th day of May, 1860, to Elizabeth Kummer, a native of Luxembourgh, Germany, and is the daughter of Anton and Susanna (Daufel) Kummer. Her father died February, 1854, and her mother is now living in Brookfield, Missouri, with her daughter, Mary Hanson. Mr. and Mrs. Farrenkopf are the parents of seven children--Mary; Carrie, wife of Amos Lawyer, now living in Tennessee township; Fannie, Joseph, John, Charles and Thomas. Mr. Farrenkopf is a school director of this township, of which he has been a representative for some time.
James Jarvis, a native of Madison county, Kentucky, was born August 1, 1812, and is a son of William and Mary (Hale) Jarvis. William is the fourth, of a family of 13 children, three of whom are now living. John, a farmer of Tuscola, Douglas county, Illinois, and Ephraim, at Jacksonville, Illinois. James lived in Kentucky, until 18 years old, then, in 1829, the family removed to Edgar county, Illinois; there the parents died, the father in 1843, aged 63 years, and the mother November 6, 1844, at the age of 56. James came from Edgar county to McDonough county, in November, 1839, and located in Hire township, where he lived till March, 1845. He removed at that date to his present home on section 34,Tennessee township. During his residence in Edgar county he was married, April 25, 1832, to Permelia Driscoll, a native of Mercer county, Kentucky, but reared in Anderson county, of that state. Her parents were Joseph M. and Nancy Ann (Riley) Driscoll, the former a native of Kentucky, and the latter of North Carolina. They were married in Mercer county, where they lived 10 years, then removed to Breckenridge county. The father was an experienced boatman, and on a trip to New Orleans in 1819, was taken sick and died. Her mother, Mrs. Driscoll, died in McDonough county in 1850. Mr. and Mrs. James Jarvis are the parents of four living children: John M., married to Nancy M. Roberts, and living in Cowley, Kansas, where he is engaged in farming; Henry M., an enterprising farmer of Tennessee township, now married to Sarah Ann Weir; James E., married to Nancy A. Fugate, living in Winfield, Kansas, and Samuel M., married to Priscilla Weir, living at Kansas City, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Jarvis have lost five children: Joseph M. and Nancy A. died in infancy in 1833; Isaac S. died August 6, 1846; William H. died at Perryville, Kentucky, in 1863, while in the service of his country, having been wounded at the battle of Perryville, from the effects of which he died; Garrett J. D. died May 13, 1865, at Fort Blakely, killed by a rebel bullet, about the last one fired in that fight. Two other sons of Mr. and Mrs. Jarvis were in the service during the war. William was a member of company C, the 15th Illinois infantry regiment, enlisting in 1861. John and Garrett enlisted in company C, of the 72d Illinois infantry regiment, the former did gallant service through the war and returned safely home; the latter was killed, as before stated. Henry enlisted toward the close of the year 1863, in company D, of the 124th regiment, and served till the end of the war. Mr. James Jarvis himself, patriotically enlisted in May 1861, in company C, of the 16th Illinois infantry, and served till August 7, 1861. He was on duty guarding railroad bridges, etc. He was honorably discharged and returned to the care of his family. Mr. and Mrs. Jarvis have been for many years identified with the county and have contributed full their share to its present prosperous condition.
Ephraim Jarvis was born in Madison county, Kentucky, October 14, 1827, and is a son of William and Mary (Hale) Jarvis. He came with them to McDonough county, in 1836. May 1st, 1851, he was married to Catherine Lawyer, who was born in Fayette county, Ohio, a daughter of William and Catherine (Emerick) Lawyer. Mr. and Mrs. Lawyer settled in this county in 1836, locating in section 27, Tennessee township, where Mrs. Jarvis now lives. Her parents removed to Appanoose county, Iowa, in 1856, and there her mother died November 2, 1874, aged 74 years. She was buried at Seymour, Iowa. Her father died, April 8, 1883, at Orient, Iowa, where he is buried. He was 87 years old. Mr. and Mrs. Jarvis have a good farm, containing 200 acres, 150 under cultivation. All of the land is rented out, except a small tract at the home place.
Patrick Erwin, who was one of the prominent men of this township, was born in the county of Limerick, Ireland, on the 3d day of March, 1827. He left Ireland for America in the year 1846. In the year 1855, he removed from New York to La Salle county, Illinois, where he remained but a short time, and came to McDonough county. He contracted for the construction of a section of the Northern Cross railroad, now the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad. After finishing that contract, he decided to make a permanent residence in this county. He purchased over 1,000 acres of land, lying in McDonough and Hancock counties, and at the time of his death, was one of the largest landholders in this part of the township. He erected a large saw mill on his place in 1864, and carried on the lumber business until the time of his death, which occurred August 13, 1878. Mr. Erwin moved to Macomb city in March, 1876, where he continued to reside during the remainder of his life. Mr. Erwin was married in New York, in 1848, to Maggie Noonan, who died in this county on the 6th day of June, 1872. She was a lady universally esteemed for her noble qualities. She left six children, five of whom are now living. Mary, John, Maggie, Ella and Josie. The three latter are graduates of St. Mary's institute, Quincy. John Erwin, his son, now conducts the business, and is making it very successful. The mill is of frame structure, having an engine of 40 horse power, which was brought from Quincy. It is now the only mill in this part of the township. Patrick Erwin was known as one of the most liberal and public spirited citizens. Being blessed with considerable means, he was a friend of the poor and needy at all times, and under all circumstances. He was an active business man, a prominent and active worker in the democratic party, and one of the most noble and generous citizens of the county.
George Harrison Ruddell, is a native of Bourbon county, Kentucky, born the 26th day of December, 1821, his parents being William and Armenas (Phelan) Ruddell. About the year 1829, his parents removed to Sangamon county, Illinois, where his father took charge of Clark's mill. There they remained until 1835, when they decided to make their future home in McDonough county. On arriving in this county, they located on section 6, in what is now Hire township. There Mrs. Ruddell died, in 1838, and the father, in 1840, removed to Iowa, and settled in Van Buren county, where he was an early settler. He there died, in 1871. George H. Ruddell removed to his present location in March, 1864, and is now located on section 17, Tennessee township. He was married on the 1st day of November, 1849, to Mary Dorothy, a native of Washington county, Kentucky, and a daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Sissel) Dorothy. They came to McDonough county in 1834, and settled in Blandinsville township, where they remained about a year, and went to Hancock county, where Mr. Dorothy died, in 1855, and in 1876, Mrs. Dorothy died in this county. Mr. and Mrs. Ruddell have had eight children: William T., married Mary Ellen Riggins, living now in Hancock county; George H., married Susan Badger, now living in Tennessee township; Robert Marion, married Sarah J. Wixon, March 19, 1885, now residing in Tennessee township; Emily, wife of George Towers, now a resident of this township; Mary; Andrew Jackson; Elizabeth and John Wesley. Mr. Ruddle owns 118 acres of land, about 70 acres of which are under cultivation. He enlisted for the Mexican war in August, 1847, in Wiatt B. Stapp's independent company, from Monmouth. They marched to Quincy, where they took a boat, and embarked for New Orleans. From there they sailed to Vera Cruz, where they arrived about November, of that year. They were stationed near Jalapa, in the vicinity of which place they were engaged in guarding supply trains, and in other services for the government. After the successful termination of the war, and the signing of the treaty of peace with Mexico, embarked for home again, returning the same way they had gone down. They were discharged at Alton, on the 26th day of July, 1848, and then returned to Warsaw, where they remained but a short time, and started to their homes. Mr. Ruddell arrived at his home in the latter part of July, and has since been a resident of this township. He has the honor of being one of the few veterans of the Mexican war, now residing in McDonough county.
Nathaniel Post was born in Ross county, Ohio, in 1829, and is the son of Abraham and Jemima (Keller) Post, both natives of West Virginia. When Nathaniel was a mere child, the family removed to Highland county, Ohio, where our subject was raised on a farm, and there remained until coming to McDonough county, Illinois, which was in the fall of 1855. His parents still remain in Ohio, where they reside on the old homestead. Nathaniel first located on Spring creek, in Emmet township, and in the following spring he removed to Hire township, and there remained a number of years. He then removed to his present location on section 33, Tennessee township. He is the owner of 185 acres of good land, the larger part of which is under cultivation, and 25 acres of uncultivated land on section 28. Mr. Post was married in Highland county, Ohio, on the 22d of March, 1848, to Ann Griffith, a native of Buckingham county, Virginia, and a daughter of Benjamin and Juda (Kidd) Griffith. Mr. and Mrs. Post are the parents of eight children: John A., married Minerva Jarvis, now living in Lamoine township; Nicholas, married Amanda Breeden, now living in Tennessee township; Mary Jane; James, residing in Kansas; William, a resident of Kansas City, Missouri; Laura, Frank and Ira.
On the 3d day of August, 1814, in Amherst county, Virginia, Wiatt L. Burford was born. His father, William Burford, was of Scotch decent, and his mother of German. When Wiatt was about two years of age, the family removed to Anderson county, Kentucky, where his father farmed within four miles of Lawrenceburg, the county seat, and where Wiatt L., was reared. Wiatt lived on the farm with his parents until 1832, when he started for Illinois, with a party who were bound for Fort Edwards, now Warsaw. While near Grand Prairie, they were encamped on that memorable night in November, when the great meteoric display occurred. They crossed the Illinois river at Meredosia, and from that place went to the present site of Warsaw. He saw but one house while coming to this county, this being made of poles and was as yet unoccupied. In the fall of that year, he came to Macomb, on business, and liking the county very much, concluded that in some future day he would make that his home. In the summers of 1832, '33 and '34, he was engaged in trading with the Indians, and was so employed when Black Hawk returned to his tribe, after being taken by the government on his trip through the civilized portion of the country. After retiring from the trading operation, Mr. Burford went back to Kentucky, and while there he was married to Priscilla M. Driskell, a daughter of Dennis and Mary (Griffin) Driskell, on the 9th day of March, 1837. They then returned to Hancock county, and located on Saint Mary's prairie, and here Mr. Burford farmed for 20 years. In 1857 he came to the village of Tennessee, where he carried on a carpenter and cabinet shop for two years, and then concluded to retire to farm life again. He then bought 107 acres of land on section 17, where he has lived ever since. Mr. and Mrs. Burford are the parents of 10 children--Dennis, married Martha Ferris, living in Tennessee township; Louisa, died in 1844, aged four years; Mary Jane, married Henry Canote, now residing in Colchester township; William, married to Lucinda Hainline, of Tennessee township; Caroline; Susan, wife of Samuel White, who was killed by a runaway, on the 2d of August, 1880; Lucy, married John McClure, who now is dead. She now resides in this township; John, married Alice Magee, now living in Tennessee township. The other two children died in infancy.
Benjamin Boyd, a prominent citizen and wealthy farmer of Tennessee township, is a son of William and Elizabeth (Stevens) Boyd. He was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, April 14, 1821, and was reared and educated in his native state. In the spring of 1843, he removed with his parents, to Fayette county, Ohio, where he followed farming until he came to McDonough county, Illinois, in the fall of 1868. He purchased then, a farm on section 26, Tennessee township, on which he has since resided. He was united in marriage in Fayette county, Ohio, September 5, 1844, with Mary Lowderman, a native of Ohio, and daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Lawderman. Mrs. Lowderman died in Ohio, July 1, 1880. In 1882, Mr. Lowderman came to this county to reside with his children, and died here December 28, 1884. His remains were taken back to Ohio for burial. Mr. and Mrs. Boyd are the parents of six children: Kate, married to J. F. Waddill, of Tennessee township; Mary Ann; Samuel W., married to Eva White, living in Colchester township; Wm. T., married to Hattie Gumwalt, also living in this township; Elizabeth Ellen Boyd, wife of Joseph King, lives in the same town, and John. Mr. Boyd owns 240 acres of land and carries on farming and stock raising. He has been township trustee four terms, and is one of the directors of the Industrial Home insurance company, of Industry. Mr. Boyd's father, William Boyd, died in 1872, in Pickaway county, Ohio. His mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Boyd, died in the same place, May 7, 1864.
William Tallis is a native of county Kilkenny, Ireland, and was born in 1819, his parents being John and Mary (Burns) Tallis. William was reared in his native country, and there learned the shoemaker's trade. He came to America in 1857, and went directly to Ulster county, New York, where he was engaged as quarryman for a little more than a year. From there he went to St. Louis, but after remaining there a short time he went to work on the construction of the Alton and Springfield railroad. He was with this company about six months, and from there had charge of a construction party on the Great Western railroad, taking up the tramway slabs and laying rails. He worked in that capacity some 15 months, when he changed his services to the Northern Cross railroad, carrying out the contract of Silas Roe, in which occupation he was engaged about 11 years. By this time he had accumulated enough to purchase a farm so came to McDonough county, Illinois, and purchased 176 acres of land on section 4, Lamoine township. He has since that time added to his possessions, until he now owns 267 acres, 58 acres being in Lamoine township, and the balance in Tennessee. Mr. Tallis was married in October, 1846, to Catharine Ford, a daughter of Robert and Catharine (Ward) Ford, both of whom died in Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. Tallis have been the parents of eight children, but in 1855 were unfortunate enough to lose five of them--Charles, William, Bridget, Ann and Jane; Thomas died in Quincy, in 1860; Joseph H. is now engaged in railroad operation on the Pacific slope; and Maria, wife of William Hardy, is now living in Fountain Green, Hancock county.
B. D. Reynolds was born in Washington county, Ohio, December 25, 1813, his parents being Thomas and Elizabeth (Wilson) Reynolds. The former died in Washington county, in 1850, and the latter at the same place in 1884. B. D. remained in his old Ohio home until 14 years of age, when he went to New Orleans and engaged with a shipping master. From there he went to Norfolk, and remaining there a short time, he put to sea. His first cruise was through the Mediterranean sea, landing at Alexandria, Smyrna and Gibraltar, and stayed at the latter about three weeks. They sailed around Cape Horn and touched at many South American points, including Valparaiso, Montevideo, and other important ports. The trip ended at Baltimore, after three years of travel. This trip was made while in the service of the American government, as a seaman, on the old Delaware, the largest ship then in the American navy. During the Mexican war he was mate on a ship which carried supplies and soldiers to the aid of the government service. After closing this work, he retired from sea life, during the progress of which he had visited nearly every port of any prominence in the world. On leaving the sea be was engaged as mate or pilot on the river boats, and for 20 years he did service on the Mississippi, Illinois, Missouri and Ohio rivers. He became mate on the Lady of Lyons, when she was first built, taking her from Pittsburgh. He remained on this boat until she was unfit for further use, and in 1848 he retired permanently from life on the water. He had previously come to McDonough county, and took up a location, and built a house in the year 1844, in what is now Tennessee township. The Mormon war had just begun, and thinking that it would make some difficulty in money matters, he sold his farm and went with a party under Frank Warrell to Warsaw, and while there Warrell was killed by the Mormons. In 1848 Mr. Reynolds came to McDonough county, and in 1856 he removed to his farm in McDonough county, on section 30, Tennessee township, where he has improved a fine place. He was married in September, 1848, to Amelia O. Thompson, a native of Kentucky, and who died on the 2d of July, 1864, leaving one daughter, Louisa, who married W. H. Window, residing now on the Reynolds place. Mr. Reynolds was again married on the 20th day of September, 1865, to Sophronia V. Freeland, a daughter of Francis and Julia Freeland. They settled in the county in 1834, and located in what is now Blandinsville. Her father now resides in Shelby county, Missouri, her mother having died in April, 1873, at their Missouri home. Mrs. Reynolds is of a literary turn of character, and furnishes many valuable essays for literary meetings.
Addison B. Roberts, the son of James and Sallie (Cox) Roberts, was born in Kentucky, January 29, 1835. When but a small child, Addison came with his parents to Illinois, and located in Hancock county, one mile east of Fountain Green, where his father still resides. Addison received his education in the common schools of Hancock county, and went to the same school with his brothers and sisters, whose names are Elbridge, Bainbridge, Adeline, Yelverton, Chauncey, Elmer. Addison left Hancock in the fall of 1859, and came to Tennessee township, McDonough county, and has since remained a resident of the county. He now owns 160 acres of good land, 125 acres of which are under a state of cultivation, and besides his farming he pays attention to the raising of live stock. He was married on the 19th of November, 1857, to Nancy Jane Mourning, a daughter of William and Elizabeth (Lyons) Mourning. They have six children--Alice, married Arthur Chipman, residing now in Tennessee township; Miller, Willis, Oscar, Mattie and Ivy. Mr. Roberts is a member of Tennessee lodge, No. 496, A. F. and A. M., and has held every office except the two highest.
Thomas James, the son of Joseph and Margaret (White) James, was born in Ohio, on the 9th day of April, 1819. He remained in Pickaway county until 10 years of age, when he removed to Fayette county, Ohio, and was in that vicinity, reared to manhood, and his parents there remained until the time of their death. Thomas was engaged in farming in that location, until 1846, when he came to McDonough county, and located in what is now Tennessee township, and has lived in that neighborhood ever since. He has now in his possession, 500 acres of highly cultivated land, and divides his attention between farming and stock raising. Mr. James was united in marriage in May, 1848, with Emily Bean, a native of Tennessee, but was reared in this county. Her parents, Robert and Margaret (Crouch) Bean, came to this county in 1832, and settled in Tennessee township. Mrs. James died in July, 1882, leaving nine children to mourn the loss of a kind and loving mother. Their names are, Robert, married Arabella Moon, living in Hire township; Edmund, keeping an Indian trading post in Alaska; George, Douglas, Allen, Henry, married Margaret Summons, living in this township; Marion, Emma and Addie.
Stephen A. White, an old settler of this township, was born in Highland county, Ohio, on the 29th of April, 1821, and the son of Thomas and Mary (Hicks) White. He spent his boyhood days in his native place, and in 1839, came to McDonough county and settled in Tennessee township. He has 160 acres of land, all under cultivation, and raises cattle and other stock in large numbers. Mr. White was married in November, 1841, to Elizabeth McGee, a daughter of Samuel McGee, one of the pioneers of this township. They have seven children living, and one dead: Marion, died in September, 1878; Henry, married Clara Young, and now lives in Blandinsville; Isabel, married Frank Eakel, now residing in Hire township; Samuel, married Fannie Mort, now living in this township; Frank, now a resident of Colchester; Douglas, living in this township; Elizabeth, married Elwood Owen, and now lives in Tennessee township; James, married Lawrence Owen, also a resident of Tennessee township.
Franklin F. Meyers, a son of Christian and Catharine (Fike) Meyers, was born in Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, on the 7th day of January, 1832. When 23 years of age, Franklin started west with the intention of making his home and seeking his fortune in a newer country. At first he went to Nebraska, where he worked at his trade of plastering and bricklaying for two years. From Nebraska he went to Memphis, Tennessee, and was there engaged in working at his trade until 1864, when he came to McDonough county, with the intention of engaging in agricultural pursuits. He purchased 78 acres of good, improved land in Hire township, and there made many improvements and there resided until 1882, when he purchased 121 acres of land in Tennessee township, residing on section 16, and where he has many valuable improvements. He was united with Mary Ann Fandon, on the 30th of November, 1861, in Memphis, Tennessee. Mrs. Meyers died in 1874, leaving four children; Ida F., Leah, Marcus, and Aquilla. Mr. Meyers was again married on the 24th of October, 1878, to Charlotte Hunn, a native of McDonough county, and a daughter of Joshua and Mary (Jackson) Davids. Mr. Meyers was collector of taxes one term in Hire township, and made a trusty and respected officer. He and his family are all members of the Methodist church at Tennessee, of which Mr. Meyers is steward.
Source: The History of McDonough County, together with sketches of the towns, villages and townships, educational, civil, military and political history; portraits of prominent individuals, and biographies of the representative citizens, 1885, pages 579-589. Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen