Chapter 37 - Mound Township, Part 2
OTHER PROMINENT PEOPLE
James Harvey Langsford, one of the most prominent citizens of Mound township, was born June 20, 1817, near Bardstown, in Nelson county, Kentucky. His father, Nicholas Langsford, was a native of Plymouth, England, and came to this county when a boy, of some 16 years, and learned the trade of a tailor in one of the eastern states. Upon coming to Nelson county, he was soon after married to Sallie Tichinor, and never moved from that county. He died in 1838, and his wife followed a few years later. When 21 years of age, James H., settled in Adams county, in this state, where for some 20 years he cultivated a farm. He was married April 20, 1843, to Narcissa Dunlap, daughter of Andrew and Rachel (Malone) Dunlap, both natives of Kentucky, who came to Adams county, Illinois, in 1841, and both died there. From Adams county, Mr. and Mrs. Langsford came to McDonough county in August, 1859, and settled on section 26, in Mound township, which he now lives. He has since purchased more land and sold some. He occupies all the land that he owns and has the reputation of being one of the best farmers in the township. Mr. Langsford's mother was a descendant of John Oldman, who came over on the Mayflower. Although Mr. Langsford and his wife were childless, yet there are several young men and women now living, who, as children, have been the objects of their love and kindness. Samuel Ramage, now in California, grew to manhood under their care and protection. Mray Carnes, Narcissa Messick, and several others, have lived in the family for years. Mr. Langsford is an active christian, and has frequently served as superintendent in a neighboring Sabbath school. Mrs. Langsford has two younger sisters, who were reared by Mr. and Mrs. Langsford from infancy. The younger one, Lizzie E., is still with them; the elder, Louisa J., is in Kansas.
James H. Wilson, son of Samuel and Ann Wilson (formerly Boyle) was born June 11, 1826. Samuel Wilson, his father, was born in February, 1785, and died September 14, 1841. Ann Wilson, his mother, was born August 15, 1798, and died September 5, 1884. When James H. was but 18 months old, or in the fall of 1827, his parents emigrated to the northern part of Putnam county, Indiana, then a very new country, heavy timber, plenty of wild game, such as bears, deer, wolves, etc. They bought land and improved a large farm in that place. James remained on the old homestead till 1849. In 1843 he joined the Christian church at what was called the Hebron church, under the preaching of P. M. Harris, his cousin by marriage. He still lived on the same farm till May, 1849, when, in company with P. M. Harris, he took a little tour west, crossing the Wabash river near Terre Haute, Indiana, thence to Paris, Decatur, Sugar Grove, crossing the Illinois river at Havana, thence to Table Grove, Macomb, Blandinsville, crossing the Mississippi at Fort Madison, Iowa, thence to Ottumwa, Iowa, all a very new country at that time, and considered a long ways in the west. There were no railroads at that time, so they had to make the trip in a buggy. Thence they returned home by about the same route that they went out, arriving home about the 1st of June, 1849. On October 4, he was married to Rebecca James, the daughter of William and Nancy James. Rebecca James, now Wilson, was born in Crawfordville, Montgomery county, Indiana, December 13, 1832. Her father, William James, died at the age of 77; her mother died in Bushnell, Illinois, at the age of 63 years, in 1847. Rebecca James joined the Christian church at what was called the Hebron church, in Putnam county, Indiana, July 10, 1850. Their first son was born in October of the same year. They emigrated to Illinois, landing at Table Grove, Fulton county, that state. There he stayed till 1853, when he bought a piece of land one and a half miles east of what is now the city of Bushnell, land being only worth about three to four hundred dollars per quarter. May 4, 1853, their daughter Mary Jane was born. Joseph A. was born July 10, 1855. He sold that land in 1855 and bought half a mile north of Bushnell. While living in Bushnell, their son, Lewis L., was born January 10, 1858; sold out there and bought southeast of Bushnell six miles, adjoining New Philadelphia. Their daughter Peneta J., was born February 8, 1860; their daughter, Mariam J., was born July 26, 1862; their son, Judge D., was born January 16, 1865; their son, Delana E., was born January 30, 1867; their son, Louie E. Wilson, was born July 19, 1870. In the year of 1867, he and his brother, B. B. Wilson, laid out and platted what is called Wilson's addition to the town of Grant or New Philadelphia, where they resided till this time. Mary J. Wilson was married to I. B. Shaw, February 12, 1873, and now lives with her husband at Greenup, Illinois, and has one daughter. I. B. Shaw is railroad agent at that place. William P. Wilson was married to Fannie Hiett, August 27, 1873, and has six children. He lives in York, Nebraska, where he is running the engine in an elevator. Joseph A. Wilson was married to Emma Walters, August 30, 1877, and has three children, and lives in York, Nebraska; he follows teaming. Levi S. Wilson, was married to Martha M. Logan, July 4, 1883, and has one daughter; lives in York, Nebraska, and is running an engine in an elevator. Peneta J. Wilson was married to William Solomon, December 29, 1881, and has one daughter, and lives in New Philadelphia, Illinois. The remainder of the children, Mariam L., Judge D., Delana E. and Louie are at home. The family are all republicans, except only a son-in-law. He and his wife have not at any time since they joined the Christian church been disconnected from it. They have nine children, two sons-in-law, three daughters-in-law, eleven grandchildren--all alive up to June 1, 1885. He is 59 years old, lacking 11 days. His hair is white. His wife, Rebecca, is 52, since December, 1884. Her hair is as black as when she was 25 years of age.
Henry Havens is a native of Warren county, New Jersey, and was born January 3, 1828. The family in 1854, removed to McDonough county. He was married June 26, 1859, to Ann Jackson. In 1868, he sold his farm, and purchased the southeast quarter of section 12. The farm had been improved by William Oglesby, but Mr. Haven has added to it largely. He has a good house, and his barns and outbuildings are of a substantial character. In addition to the home farm, he owns valuable tracts of land in Fulton county, and may be classed among the solid, progressive farmers of his county. Mr. and Mrs. Havens have had seven children born to them. He also owns stone quarries and a fine clay bank.
David M. Myers, one of the substantial farmers of this township, owns 280 acres, all in a high state of cultivation. His buildings are first-class, and his new barn, 42x42, is the envy of his neighbors. He makes stock raising a specialty, in which he has been very successful. Mr. Myers was born August 2, 1846, in Cumberland county, Pennsyvlania, and is a son of Henry Myers, Esq., now a resident of Fulton county. Mr. Myers enlisted in September, 1863, in company G, 103d Illinois volunteer infantry, and served until he was transferred to the 40th regiment, July, 1865. He was mustered out in 1865, at Springfield. He took part in the siege and capture of Atlanta, and followed the fortunes of his regiment until the close. In 1870, he went to California, and remained in that state 8 months. September 26, 1877, he was married to Kate Burress, and went to housekeeping on the farm where he now resides. They have three children--Frank A., William H. and Lulu Belle. Mr. Myers has made nearly all the improvements on his farm.
George W. Solomon is a native of Illinois, and was born March 12, 1839. He was a descendant of a good North Carolina family of German extraction. When George was 10 years of age he came to McDonough county, and remained one winter in the county, and moved to Fulton county in the spring of 1850. During the summer of 1860, he worked for George Reed, who owned his present farm. He was married in 1859, to Nancy Anderson, and in 1867 moved to the farm where he now resides. He has made stock dealing his principal business, buying large numbers of hogs and cattle, which after feeding, he ships to various markets. He now owns 480 acres of land, all in cultivation; he has a large herd of cattle in the Indian Nation, and is a thorough cattle man. He is a Master Mason and member of lodge No. 316. He was supervisor two years, the board which refunded the railroad bonds. He has five children.
Source: The History of McDonough County, together with sketches of the towns, villages and townships, educational, civil, military and political history; portraits of prominent individuals, and biographies of the representative citizens, 1885, pages 981-984. Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright