Chapter 35 - Pennington's Point
The locality which has so long born this name is on section 30, New Salem township. There are six dwelling houses there, one blacksmith shop, one general store, and a post-office. The blacksmith shop was started in 1858, but in 1862, it was rebuilt at its present location. It is owned by Simon Raby, and was built by him. The store building was erected in 1863. The business is carried on by Simon Raby. He is also the postmaster, and has held that position since 1858, with the exception of four years. The place has never attained any great importance.
PENNINGTON'S POINT CEMETERY
The first burial on the site of this beautiful city of the dead, was that of Agnes, wife of Thomas Ausbury, in 1834. In 1845 or 1846, the land was purchased by J. E. D. Hammer, and afterwards deeded to the county, by him, and in the later year by the county to the trustees. In 1881 or 1882, it was surveyed and laid off in lots. It contains about two acres, and is nicely fenced and improved.
Source: The History of McDonough County, together with sketches of the towns, villages and townships, educational, civil, military and political history; portraits of prominent individuals, and biographies of the representative citizens, 1885, page 926, 929. Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright