Shiloh Presbyterian Church, Walnut Grove Township
Shiloh Presbyterian church was organized at the residence of Alexander Campbell, on section 16, in 1839, by Rev. James Chase, with 23 members, and was a branch of the Macomb church. For several years meetings were held alternately at the residences of J. G. Walker and Alexander Campbell. In 1852 a large school house, 22x32, was erected on section 8 of Walnut Grove township, which has subsequently been used for church purposes. When the township was re-districted into school districts, two miles square, the congregation purchased the building. The reason given for no church building ever being erected before this is, that the membership was so scattered that no point convenient for all could be selected. Members were living in Macomb township, as far north as the county line, and east and west several miles. At one time the church was prosperous, and had a large and interested membership, but when towns sprang up here and there in the surrounding country and new congregations organized, the members residing near, of course, left Shiloh and united with the new church, nearer home. When the Bushnell church was organized, the members living east and near the town united there; when Bardolph was started, those living south left Shiloh and united there; and when Good Hope church was organized, but few remained in Shiloh church, so that in the spring of 1863, the membership being so small, the society disposed of their church building to John Pennell, for $87, and united with the society at Walnut Grove, under the name of Walnut Grove and Shiloh Presbyterian church. Meetings are held in the hall over Fairman's store. The first elders of the Shiloh organization were Alexander Harris, J. G. Walker and Alexander Campbell. Among the first preachers were James Chase, Isaac B. Moore, David Monfort, P. W. Thompson and Joseph Platt.
Source: The History of McDonough County, together with sketches of the towns, villages and townships, educational, civil, military and political history; portraits of prominent individuals, and biographies of the representative citizens, 1885, page 439. Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen