West Prairie Cumberland Presbyterian Church
This congregation was originally organized at "Sixteen" school house, where meetings were held until the erection of the church. Meetings were also held in the school house of district number three, Eldorado township, by another little band. At the close of the rebellion, Rev. James Russell, who had served as a chaplain in the army, was employed by these and other congregations, and by his earnest labor, he united them, and urged the building of a church edifice, which was done in 1867, at a cost of $3,300. The building is a neat frame, about 33x50. It is located upon the southwest corner of section 9, Eldorado township. Rev. James Russell was the first pastor. He was followed by Rev. McClellan. The present is Rev. J. M. Crawford.
Source: The History of McDonough County, together with sketches of the towns, villages and townships, educational, civil, military and political history; portraits of prominent individuals, and biographies of the representative citizens, 1885, pages 444-445. Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen